After Hutchmoot Thoughts

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› After Hutchmoot Thoughts

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Stephen Hesselman
    Hutchmate
    @stephenhesselman

Hey friends!

I wanted to share a quick story that I think exemplifies one of the things I think is so wonderful about this community.

Yesterday, I was running late. This is not unusual. I showed up to the closing session of Hutchmoot at approximately 2:03:53 pm Central. It was only several minutes past starting time (which in Oregon, by the way, would probably still be early). You could say I was fashionably late, but really, I was just late enough that the doors to the auditorium were closed and Pete had started speaking and thanking various people for helping make Hutchmoot possible.

I didn’t used to think I was too bad with crowds, but when I pressed my face against the little windows in the doors and beheld the multitudes, I was daunted by the lack of potentially inconspicuous seating that I might be able to make my way to unnoticed, so I decided it might be best to just hang out in the entry way; there was a monitor and the sound was good. Some days, and even some hours in the same day, I might have pressed through anyway and found a seat, but this wasn’t one of those moments. I didn’t feel I was missing out too bad, though it was a little sad. I figured I could say hi to folks afterwards at least.

After about 5 or 10 minutes, Andrew Peterson came through one of the doors, saw me, and asked how I was doing and if I was alright. I explained that I was unable to overcome my social awkwardness in order to find a seat, and he took the time to motion me over and help me find a place to sit and be part of things. A simple act of kindness and inclusion. That meant a lot.

I often struggle with feeling like I belong, and even among such a group that makes every effort to make you feel welcome and include you, I have my days where I just feel like such a square peg (such a great term) that I don’t fit anywhere, not really. But thanks to Andrew, that lie was beat back again yesterday, and I got to be part of things up close and sit for awhile with my brothers and sisters during one of the most moving times of worship I can recall.

So, Rabbit Room community, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being such a welcoming place. I can hardly think of a place that I’d want to be welcomed into more, that it seems too good to be true sometimes. I hope and pray by the Spirit’s help, that I can also help include and welcome those who come across my path.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Man, I hate that we only got to spend a couple of quick moments with each other! But, it was still really great to see you. I’m glad you fought through and came in!

Stephen Hesselman
    Hutchmate
    @stephenhesselman

Same here, @barberjo! Was great to see you, and I really hope to see you sooner than next Hutchmoot!

@stephenhesselman, I totally understand your seating late anxieties! I felt insanely welcome with you later that evening. Thanks, new friend.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Stephen Hesselman
    Hutchmate
    @stephenhesselman

@bdregge you’re so welcome – grateful to be friends, and I hope its not too long before we see you guys again – welcome any time! We had so much fun – I had no idea it was possible to fit that many people fairly comfortably here! 😀

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.