Best vintage video game?

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Best vintage video game?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
  • Rebecca Reynolds
    Hutchmate
    @rebeccareynolds

I’m torn between Gauntlet and this beauty…

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

Do you mean arcade game? I’d go with Donkey Kong.

If you mean video game, I firmly believe the original Fallout is the greatest game ever made.

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

1 user thanked author for this post.

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

Note that instead of making a link, if you just add the youtube/vimeo address of a video to a post, it will automatically be embedded.

I fixed it for you, @rebeccareynolds.

Tom Henderson
    Hutchmate
    @tomhenderson

Best Console Game: Super Mario World (SNES)
    Runner Up: Yar’s Revenge (Atari 2600*)

Best Arcade Game: Galaga (Namco/Midway)
    Runner Up: Discs of Tron

Best PC Game: StarFlight (Binary Systems/Electronic Arts)
    Runner Up: Archon: The Light and the Dark (Electronic Arts)

*Or Atari VCS if you’re <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>really</span> old school.

Rebecca Reynolds
    Hutchmate
    @rebeccareynolds

Thanks, Pete.

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

How vintage is vintage? I have a lot of nostalgia for a text adventure called Colossal Cave, as well as Myst and Riven, all three of which stirred my imagination deeply as a kid.

@pete, did you ever play the Mass Effect trilogy? I can’t compare it to Fallout, but that trilogy is among the gold standard for games.

Tom Henderson
    Hutchmate
    @tomhenderson

Yes, Colossal Cave is definitely vintage.  I remember playing that on a CP/M system with 8″ discs.

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

Colossal Cave came pre-installed on our first computer, which came out a month before Windows. I still have the route through the maze of twisty little passages, all alike memorized. 😄

Ooh… archaic machines reminds me of another great classic: Oregon Trail.

I’m casting my “best PC game” vote for the Commander Keen PC games. My favourite was always the one in which Keen is a little boy who falls asleep while refusing to eat his vegetables at dinner, and the whole game is his subsequent dream of fighting off evil vegetables.

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

Oh, wait. Star Control 2 is the best PC game ever.

I played the first two Mass Effect games. They were fun for the most part, but I wouldn’t put them in the same league as the original Fallout. Fallout and Bioshock, are the only games that have ever had an emotional effect on me (and maybe Dragon Age, the first one).

I’d have to say that I agree with @petchr24, Commander Keen was one of the best.

I know I’m gonna regret this, but I also have to stand by the N64 Super Smash Bros. as one of the best “vintage-ish” console games ever…

Matt Garner
    Hutchmate
    @mattgarner

King’s Quest VI (1992) for PC. My sister and I used to draw maps of the catacombs. Such an amazing game!

www.matthewgarner.com

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

Ooh, Bioshock. That game hurt on many levels. I will, however, froth at the mouth over the Mass Effect trilogy because even your insignificant choices in the first two make a difference by game 3. And I do mean choices. One of the advantages of video games over books or movies is that, when well done, you the player are not just acting out someone else’s actions; you’re helping to shape the world around you by the character you choose to play. And the ME games have great replay value as well, since there are always different choices to make.

That’s why I’m, uh, slightly hijacking this thread. The older console games were entertaining and often told good stories, but there weren’t that many games that let you the player change the world.

Related update to my “best vintage video game” vote: Chrono Trigger, because to my knowledge it’s the first game to offer multiple endings.

Atari Pong.

Tom Henderson
    Hutchmate
    @tomhenderson

Come now, David. Everyone know that the Magnavox version of Pong was sooooo much better.

I agree with Matt. King’s Quest VI for PC. Galaga was my favorite arcade game.

Rich Tuttle
    Hutchmate
    @richtuttle

Oregon Trail

The One True Stickman
    Hutchmate
    @theonetruestickman

I’m a little jealous of the rest of you who actually grew up with vintage games as a kid… I finally got my own NES from Goodwill when I was… ah, 22?

So suffice it to say I don’t know what the best vintage game is.

However, my brother and I spent *many* hours immersed in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64), Myst, Riven (which he finally just beat and I have yet to), and an old Mac game called Escape Velocity. We also played King’s Quest quite a bit with cousins. I can still recommend all of those.

Edit: @tomhenderson – Why stop at Magnavox? Surely you must admit that it’s precursor, the original Brown Box, is superior! It also contained the precursor to Duck Hunt – in 1968. So. 🙂

They call me.... thread killer.

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

@theonetruestickman, we had a computer growing up, which meant Prince  of Persia and a couple of other random games that fell off most people’s radars. We got a game boy at some point, but only owned Tetris and one Donkey Kong game. I think my first true console game was Final Fantasy 9, by which point I was in college.

Do you mean arcade game? I’d go with Donkey Kong. If you mean video game, I firmly believe the original Fallout is the greatest game ever made.

Pete, can we be best friends?  I love the Fallout series.  Did you ever play the rest?  I’ll never forget randomly stumbling across the TARDIS in Fallout 2….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.