Blogging

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
  • Anyone here interested in a support group for bloggers?

I have a love-hate relationship with blogging and I’m trying to work through it.

2 users thanked author for this post.

If sporadic bloggers are welcome, I would be interested! 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

I attempt to blog weekly at “This Writing Life” — but summer has been a gut punch, and I haven’t written the column nor anything for the past month. I’m going to try to kickstart it once more in July.

A

Web designer, web developer, writer.

Profile photo of Kate Willis
    Kate Willis
    Hutchmate
    @katewillis

I just started an author blog, so I’d love tips and support from anyone who has done this sort of thing before. 😉

Yes! I haven’t been blogging lately, but I need to get back to it, so I’d definitely be on board. 🙂

Profile photo of Kyra Hinton
    Kyra Hinton
    Hutchmate
    @kyra-hinton

Yes definitely! After writing off and on over the years, a couple months ago God used the Rabbit Room as my final nudge unto blogging. I started in April and it has been really raw and new for me. So.. YES! I would love that!

Let’s start by sharing the name of our current blog and a little of what it’s about.

I can get things started. My most written-in blog is called Hot Dogs and Marmalade. I started it when I was helping my father care for my mother. My mother, in her Alzheimer’s, went through a stage of putting marmalade on everything, even hot dogs. Hence, the title. That blog devolved into writing about whatever struck my fancy on a particular day. It lost its focus. That blog is now sitting idle for a number of reasons.

I have a new one — Hot Dogs and Apple Relish — that’s about caring for my father, but I haven’t launched it yet, and when I do, it will probably be private and used as a way of disseminating information to family about my father.

I have a blog.  On which I have written anywhere from sporadically (see: every 3-12 months) to regularly since 2005.  Except that about 3 months ago, in an attempt to change hosts and such, I totally broke it.  I mean, I think all the content is still there, somewhere, but I haven’t bothered to, you know, call the support service to figure it out.

At any rate, I started blogging mostly because I am a physician who loves to tell and read and hear and share stories, and I realized during med school that I didn’t really have a good outlet for that any longer.  Also, I’m an external processor who likes occasional feedback on her processing, and blogging was a decent outlet for some of my more existential thought processing without subjecting my friends and family to hours long discussions about various things.  Sometimes people read it, sometimes they didn’t, sometimes they commented, sometimes they didn’t, and that was fine.  It was mostly for me, and nice to occasionally get some of that validation.

So, should I ever manage to get around to reinstating my blog, it is The Other Side of Reason, though currently just looks like an empty holding page.  I write about faith and medicine and the arts and being single and random updates on my life that no one cares about but I like to occasionally do as a journal of sorts, ha.

I’ve had a blog of one sort or another since the late ’90s. Mercifully, most of my earliest posts have been lost to the world. (At least, I think they have been. I sure don’t have them anywhere.)

These days, I update two different blogs more or less regularly.

My personal blog, Noises From the Machine, is hard to describe. “A potpourri” would probably be the kindest thing to call it. The content ranges from political observations to poetry to literature to theological reflections.

I also maintain a family blog called Toddling Through Kansas that follows our adventures as we visit every town in Kansas, one at a time. My day job as a software developer, my growing (and needy) family, and my ministry at church have kept me from updating this blog as regularly as I would like. I have a backlog of about 7 or 8 drafts that need publishing, but there are around 95 published posts so far.

Incidentally: If I had it to do over again, I would have chosen WordPress.com as my blogging platform. I don’t think it was around when I first started my blog, but it’s a much nicer tool than Blogger. (Also, its more mature sister, WordPress.org, is a pretty sweet toolset, particularly if you want to have your own domain name and do your own hosting.)

(I also have a very sporadically updated development blog, Journal of a C++ n00b, whose main purpose is to post solutions for problems that were extremely painful for me to solve. Most of these problems were really hard to google for, so I hope my answers will populate the search engines and help anyone who has similar problems in the future.)

Hi!  @sallyz thanks for starting this thread!  I look forward to reading your blog!   I take care of my grandparents so I’m sure it will be an encouragement.

I have a young blog created for gardening/gratitude/random writings.   I was taking so many pictures and my writing folder was growing…  so it’s an outlet to share those things.  It is https://lovelinessofthings.wordpress.com

I struggle with blogging too.  I do enjoy it!  But it seems like a strange one- sided pseudo world sometimes.  And I do a lot of second-guessing.  Not sure if it’s humility or pride : D

Profile photo of Kyra Hinton
    Kyra Hinton
    Hutchmate
    @kyra-hinton

In reading your blog descriptions you all already feel like kindred spirits. I look forward to reading them!

I have always journaled my conversations with God and my processing of life. About 6 years ago I started meeting with girls of various ages who wanted to get to know God more, and that grew into a really sweet community. Out of our conversations came a lot of sweet metaphors and stories. I finally started a blog back in April as a pseudo-journal and a place to share what God’s been showing us. As a lot of our community isn’t in the same city anymore, it has been another way to stay up to date on everything God’s been doing. Recently though, writing for my blog has been like tapping a spile into the tree of my soul so that I can see what will come out. It has been really raw and unpolished recently, but it has been what I’ve needed.  And it is always a huge plus and encouragement to know it might matter to someone else too. ☺️ The blog is Remnants of a Homeland

@susan @micah @sarie and @kyra-hinton — I had so much fun visiting all your blogs this morning!

Even yours, @susan, which, sure enough, was an empty holding page, but I had to laugh when I saw the site-generated related links: Australian football, butchers, and convenience stores to name a few. I’m sure they have nothing to do with your blog… or do they? 🙂

@micah — how long have we known each other? I had no idea that you had a blog, let alone three! I loved them. I even visited your C++ blog and forwarded a link to my oldest son. Please update the header in your Kansas blog to include Miss Madelynne. She feels quite slighted.

@sarie — where do you live? Your photos are beautiful. They make me want to eat grapes and tomatoes and sit in the rain. So lovely. You named your blog well.

@kyra-hinton — yes, kindred spirits! That’s exactly what I felt when I visited your corner of the web.  And this — “writing for my blog has been like tapping a spile into the tree of my soul so that I can see what will come out” — so true.

Thank you all for sharing your world with me.

@sallyz  thank you!  I live in the foothills of South Carolina.

I recently listened to a talk by Lanier Ivester and Jennifer Trafton called “Creativity as a Spiritual Discipline”.  You can find it here.

I was greatly motivated and thrilled quite honestly by this concept.  I have so much hard farm work to do… I have viewed painting and writing and photography as a selfish thing- just something I crammed in here or there when no one looked.  Well, not anymore.

I still get my work done (most of the time!), but I am not going to be ashamed to be creative- why wouldn’t I want to mimic my Master, the Creator?!

And I have returned to gardening and all my farm work with a renewed vision- to make something fine out of nothing (or nothing worth looking at)-  to turn that weedy bed into a artichoke patch with a David Austin rose at one end and to paint the goat family tree on the walls of the barn!

I know I will get tired and forget to be excited and confident.  But, if I can remember it as a spiritual discipline, it will come back to me, I hope.

Thank you @lanier and @jennifert!

@susan, I have a little bit of experience with technical things like server migrations. I’d be happy to assist any way I can if it would be helpful at all.

Kate Willis
    Hutchmate
    @katewillis

I inherited a personal blog from my older sisters and have kept it going for over three years now. It’s been a ton of fun and a great writing exercise!

A couple weeks ago, I decided I had enough content to also start an author blog and began building it on WordPress. (It’s awesome, but switching over from Blogger is like English to metric.) It’s a place for me to geek out about literature in general, write reviews, and share about my own projects without filling up my personal blog completely. 😉 It’s called Once Upon an Ordinary.

Thanks for the follow, @sarie! Beautiful pictures, by the way.

Profile photo of Dawn Morrow
    Dawn Morrow
    Hutchmate
    @dawn11476

I blog in spurts. My blog is Practicing Purpose. It’s mostly bits and pieces of writing. And it looks like it fell out of the 90s because I am terrible at graphic design.

Profile photo of Kathleen Mahoney
    Kathleen Mahoney
    Hutchmate
    @wonderseeker

So I have had several people tell me I should be blogging, but haven’t of yet gotten to it fully. Right now I have one that I want to revamp and work out all the kinks so it looks and feels right. Right now its graces & briers . I retitled it based off of a story I had written, my personal memoir in story form, and basically, I want to right about life: the hard and the wonderful. I would love accountability and support in becoming a regular writer. I am a perfectionist and I have learning disabilities which means that my writing is ALWAYS full of spelling errors, but I am working with being okay with it all. Anyway, cheers!

@katewillis I love the title of your blog! So pretty 😀

Kate Willis
    Hutchmate
    @katewillis

Thanks, @wonderseeker! I love your blog title too!

Happy 4th of July, fellow bloggers! Today we celebrate the birth of our country.

Can you remember the birth of your blog? When you sat down to write that very first post, who were you picturing would read it? Take me back to the beginning and tell me a little about your blog as a newborn.

I remember starting my first blog when I graduated from high school eight years ago. It seemed that blogs were more popular back then, at least among my friends. I was excited to have my own and get in on the action. Do others feel also that blogs have been largely eclipsed by other forms of social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram? I think blogs still have a place, though. Sometimes a few words on Facebook or one picture on Instagram is not enough. Blogs give room for fuller development of thought and more careful presentation of images. I like using blogging for both photography and writing, but have found the two interests needed different kinds of blogs. This one is my original from 2008 and has developed into a travel and photography blog. I created this one last year specifically for creative writing. I’m afraid I have neglected it for months now. I definitely fall into the “sporadic blogger” category, but then I suspect most of us do. Even sporadic blogging has a place, though! It’s never too late to take another try at it, even if the blog is long-neglected and seldom read. The process of creating a post has merit in itself, I think, even if it is seen by few.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.