Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 151 total)
  • Author
  • Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

I admit it. I’m a complete geek for boardgames. And I don’t mean Monopoly (that blight on the hobby). I mean games like these:

Descent

A cooperative dungeon crawl

2-player, Empire vs. Rebellion. Epic.

Zombies? Cooperative? A hidden Traitor? Yes, please.

Defending the world from Lovecraftian evil? Count me in.

Smacking down even more evil? I’m in.

Taking over the universe with crazy alien powers? Deal me in.

I could go on all night long. You don’t even want to see how scary my game shelf is.

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

Attachments:

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

YES PLEASE YES YES.

Kaitlyn Luce
    Hutchmate
    @kaitlynluce

That game shelf is a thing to behold and a thing to be feared.

I like Settlers of Catan. It’s about as nerdy as I get.

Sandy
    Hutchmate
    @sjohnson

I really like Munchkin and all of it’s offshoots.  It’s been a long time since I’ve gotten to play though.

https://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jackson-Games-1483SJG-Munchkin/dp/B004U7JJWE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464868823&sr=8-3&keywords=munchkin

I also like Pandemic, but the world always dies when I play.  I’ve learned I shouldn’t go work for the CDC.

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-ZMG-71100-Pandemic/dp/B00A2HD40E/ref=pd_sim_21_22?ie=UTF8&dpID=51T6fMhRkzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&refRID=B9H0946E69156DR2BABA

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

Pandemic is a great game. Even better is Pandemic: Legacy. It starts out as plain old Pandemic but based on how you play (what you do, and whether you win or lose) the game changes: you tear up cards, you put stickers on the board, you open new packages of cards and pieces, the rules change and evolve. It tells a story in which your actions literally shape the world as you play the game. It’s one of the to 5 games I’ve ever played.

Sandy
    Hutchmate
    @sjohnson

@pete

That sounds very interesting.  I’m going to have to look that up for our next game night!

I spent two hours every week with my 9 yr old at a local game store playing their store library copies of just about everything that was fairly age appropriate. Our home game library is a full IKEA Billy unit at this point. From Munchkin to Catan to Pandemic to Sneaky Snacky Squirrel*… Sounds like I’ve found some very good company!

*I’ve a pre-schooler as well.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@sjohnson, consider this another enthusiastic recommendation for Pandemic Legacy. It’s currently my favorite game. And there are other rabbits around who play it, too (@kristenkopp @rdregge). i haven’t gotten to play it as much recently because everyone we know has gone to the Dark Side (i.e., Star Wars X-Wing—also awesome). 😛 @pete is directly to blame for both of these things.

Kristen Kopp
    Hutchmate
    @kristenkopp

@sjohnson, I will also put in a recommendation for Pandemic Legacy. @rdregge and I are part of a small group that meets every month to play. I love it. (We’re currently on a two-game losing streak.) We also play other games. Some newer favorites of mine are Forbidden Desert and Splendor. I Kickstarted Bring Your Own Book, which is wonderful. (I think they’re going to make a second edition available to non-backers soon.)

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@kristenkopp, one of my darlings brought BYOB to our Geek family night on Friday, and it was so fun. He Kickstarted it, but i looked it up later and saw that Gamewright’s producing it now. i’m going to look into getting it for our church library’s game collection.

My family has recently been exploring the wonders of Carcassonne and the ever-ilusive Star Wars Carcassonne. You literally build the board as you play, making every game wildly different. (Especially when you play with two sets and an expansion pack 😉 )

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

I love Carcassonne, and I’m sorely tempted to buy the Star Wars version.

It is definitely worth it! However be warned, there are a few variations from the original version, such as the absence of pastures and the ability to battle for roads and such. But overall, the changes make it unique and still a quite enjoyable game!

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Anybody here played the Carcassonne variant The Discovery?

Kaitlyn Luce
    Hutchmate
    @kaitlynluce

Oh! I have played Pandemic a few times and enjoyed it. I can’t imagine what Pandemic Legacy is like. It sounds like it would give me a heart attack.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@kaitlynluce, it might, but it will be the most enjoyable heart attack you’ll ever have.

Jonny Jimison
    Participant
    @jonnyjimison

Wow, so many suggestions here that I need to try!

I’m a big fan of Coup and Munchkin, but then I discovered Smash-up and became considerably obsessed. Between me and my brothers, we’ve assimilated most of the expansions. SO. MUCH. FUN.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Last night’s Date Night consisted of tacos on a rooftop followed by X-Wing. Jonathan just picked up the two huge ships—Imperial Raider and Tantive IV—and they both came with multi-encounter campaigns. So i played Rebel for the very first time ever, he played a huge ship for the very first time ever, and we played our very first encounter in our very first campaign ever. It was not the crushing i expected, either.

Here is another one i really enjoy: Shadows Over Camelot.

@jonnyjimison, Smash Up is pretty cool. Have you ever played King of Tokyo/King of New York? They’re not really like Smash Up in concept and gameplay, but they live in adjacent spaces in my head nonetheless.

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

I’m part of a group that’s been meeting regularly for board games for over 10 years now. Best thing ever.

Some of my personal favorites:

• Dominion
    • Ticket to Ride (great game for introducing people to Euro-style games)
    • Betrayal at House on the Hill (horror spoof)

Everyone should totally share a photo of their game shelves. *makes mental note to post photos of game shelf when she gets home*

Also, @jonnyjimison and I have tossed around the idea of a GameMoot. Should this be the official thread of interest? :p

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Yes to everything @firstcrusader just said.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.