Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • Author
  • Jonny Jimison
    Participant
    @jonnyjimison

@mrs-hittle I love King of Toyko! I usually play as the Cyber Bunny.

@firstcrusader Ticket to ride is another good one.

…and this is more of a party game than a tabletop/strategy game, but there’s a great one called Liebrary – I’m wanting to think I discovered it because @jennifert recommended it online at one point? It combines the literary world with apples-to-apples style gameplay.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@jonnyjimison, that sounds a lot like Bring Your Own Book. It really is just book quotes + Apples to Apples rules. BYOB didn’t come with bits, though. Just cards and a timer.

Suzanne Tietjen
    Hutchmate
    @suzishepherd

This has given me ideas. I like Catan but some of the expansions make my brain hurt. We are also isolated and usually have to play two person games. Would any of these work for two players, one of them easily overwhelmed?

Kaitlyn Luce
    Hutchmate
    @kaitlynluce

Pandemic works with two people, @suzishepherd! I also found that it didn’t make my brain turn all mushy when I was learning to play, which I appreciated. 🙂

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

Other games that play great with two (and aren’t overly complicated):

Castles of Burgundy

Star Realms (and it’s just $15):

Kingdom Builder

Marvel Legendary

Imperial Settlers

It’s worth noting, that while these are not complicated games, they’ll probably seem complicated to someone who’s used to games like Monopoly or Clue. This is because modern boardgames use a different set of paradigms and mechanisms than games used to (rounds, victory points, drafting, exhausting, or worker placement, rather than roll the dice and and move). This is great news because in old games like Monopoly, there’s no skill involved. The dice dictate the winner. Players are just along for the ride. Newer, better games place meaningful choices in the hands of the player, so that the player can determine in large part how well he/she plays the game.

So while newer games seem initially complex, once you understand the basics of a couple of them, they suddenly all begin to make sense. If it seems complicated at first, don’t give up. Once you see how the game system works, you’ll begin to see how simple it really is. Hope that make sense.

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

@suzishepherd, Ticket to Ride is a great two-player game… easy rules to learn too. Dominion is decent with two, and gives a lot of variation (especially if you add in expansions). I have some friends who swear by a two-player game called Mr. Jack, but I’ve never personally played that one. I also think there’s a card-based two-player variant of Catan.

@pete, you don’t think Burgundy is overly complicated? I mean, it’s a good game, but it’s not one that I would just hand over to the average player. Granted, my patience for games longer than an hour is fairly limited these days.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

More two-player games:

Lost Cities is a card game where you are trying to mount expeditions to five archaeological sites simultaneously, and the other player is trying to go to the same places. You collect numbered resource cards for each place and play them in ascending order, but there’s only one card of each color and number. Realistically you can’t get to all of the sites, so part of the strategy is seeing which ones to focus on and which to leave behind. It’s easy and very quick (like 15 minutes quick) and great for non-gamers.

Small World isn’t restricted to two players, but scales really well—it even has multiple boards so that you’re playing the exact size game for the number of players. You’re competing for space on a map using fantasy races with different powers. There’s a lot of variation, but the powers aren’t complicated. And part of the mechanic is that you can only get so far with each race before it’s best to let them go into decline and pick a new race, so there’s never the sense that the other player has gotten ahead and you can’t catch up.

Jonathan and i enjoy both of these games, but more to the point, so do my brother and sister-in-law. She isn’t as interested in complicated Euro games as the other three of us, but they’ve played a lot of both of those games.

The Catan card game is great, too. One of the better two-player games, in my opinion. It’s a bit more complicated and strategic and takes about an hour and a half to play, but it’s a lot of fun. And Dominion is great too. Very simple rules, but endless variation.

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

@firstcrusader, Burgundy is surely at the higher end of the spectrum (for the games I listed at least), but it’s such a great two-player that I couldn’t stand to leave it off. A two-player game comes in at about 30-45 minutes, add more players and I think it drags a little too much.

Suzanne Tietjen
    Hutchmate
    @suzishepherd

Thank you all for the good suggestions. Also to have an idea how long a game often lasts. Mike has been playing war games forever and I enjoy Catan. We’ll have to try some of theses suggestions. I’ve found that the Catan extensions are better learned by playing with others who know them instead of spending the night reading the instructions. Time to branch out.

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

All the 2-player games I listed come in at under an hour. Star Realms is more like 20mins.

Thanks to @beloved,

^THIS happened yesterday, sandwiched between games of our newest arrival The Manhattan Project.

I enjoy finding two-player games that have longevity, and I also like Euro-style games where everyone plays to the end. Carcassonne (I haven’t tried any expansions yet), Fleet, and All Creatures Great and Small are some favorites.

Josh Duncan
    Hutchmate
    @joshua-duncan

Honesty time. My wife and I have played Catan–I even own a copy of it–but at this point I’d rather use ghost pepper eye drops than play it again. Forgive me.

I’d like to branch out and try new games while avoiding the tedium of Catan, and I also have kids ages 7-13 that I’d like to include. Would any of the aforementioned games be a good fit for a fella like me?

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@joshua-duncan, do you guys like cooperative games? i think that helps somewhat in smoothing out a wide age range. i love Forbidden Island.

Josh Duncan
    Hutchmate
    @joshua-duncan

@mrs-hittle Cooperative games would be fine for us. Thanks for the recommendation.

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

Confession: Catan and Dominion make my eyes bleed.

I’ve never played the real Catan. I’ve played the Star Trek themed version a couple times, and it wasn’t terrible, but there is some dust on that box.

There used to be the Catan Card Game, which we’ve enjoyed. It’s two player, pretty quick to learn, and very portable. Gameplay is well balanced. It’s been a favorite on cross-country train rides, along with Carcassonne, for those reasons.

These days, there’s a newer renamed edition, The Rivals for Catan. I haven’t played it, but it should be pretty good.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

HUSBAND!!!

We’ve also played a few games of the two-player card game, Star Wars Empire vs. Rebellion. It was very quick, didn’t feel tedious at all.

But these days, most of my two player gaming is in the form of X-Wing.

It’s a deep, dark money pit. One of the most fun money pits in gaming right now.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@pete, did you know that there is an expansion to Dead of Winter on the way?</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>My first game of Dead of Winter, I had the truck driver and the dog as my characters. The first turn, the truck driver died of a heart attack, so I spent the rest of the game as the dog. He was awesome helping morale by playing the guitar and fighting off zombies while wielding a knife. He won us that game. Good dog.</p>

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

i love that story. XD

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.