Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 147 total)
  • Author
  • (Somehow I managed to break something and my picture did not post nor could I edit/delete it immediately upon posting due to the time stamp, but this time it should work?)

I haven’t played Star Wars Carcassonne, but I did play “Starcassonne” with pieces from multiple games on our woodburned Carcassonne:

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@rdregge, that is the nerdiest, and i love it. 😀

Does anyone else consider the publishing company when they are considering a new game? For instance I really enjoy games by TMG (Tasty Minstrel Games) and really love their mission statement: “To Heal The World By Providing Games That Strengthen Family Unity, Communication, and Love” I like Gamelan Games as a company but don’t enjoy their games as much.

<span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>rdregge that’s fantastic! If I might ask, how long did it take to make that delightful wood-burned set?

Serves me right for copying-and-pasting… ^That’s for you @rdregge!

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@bdregge, there are some companies whose games i’ve liked well enough that their logo on the box of a new one serves as an endorsement, but i’ve never noticed mission statements. That one is wonderful. i’m so going to look up their games now.

Suzanne Tietjen
    Hutchmate
    @suzishepherd

In the mentions that fed back to my page, four of them said they were posted 16 years ago. Is someone playing with time?

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

@suzishepherd, the Rabbit Room exists beyond time, obviously. 😀 (Sci-Fi Swingmoot, amirite @mrs-hittle?)

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Sci-fi Swingmoot forever! Plus some other times!

Rich Tuttle
    Hutchmate
    @richtuttle

Technically not a boardgame (so maybe another thread if needed), but…

Dungeons & Dragons!

Happiness = this thread’s existence!

Here is part of our game shelf (I’d call it a “Best Of” – not including our chest of card games, LotR Risk, Solar Quest et al):

@beloved – Making our set took a few evening sessions: cutting, sanding, and penciling the designs onto 2×2-inch squares of poplar, then burning the designs; but we didn’t make any expansions. Less than a week. We also made a woodburned Catan, and we’ve cut 3″ tiles to make Forbidden Island, wanting to design & cast our own aluminum treasure pieces, but now we’re thinking of making Forbidden Desert instead…

@rdregge, that sounds like a great project, especially since you can use the set for any version (even Starcassonne 😉 ) And Forbidden Island is a great game! I have yet to play Forbidden Desert, but having your own casted aluminum treasure pieces for Forbidden Island sounds pretty epic!

Ohhhh, y’all, I wasn’t going to get involved in the forums but you’re speaking my language! 😀 I used to hate boardgames (actively avoid them), but my father-in-law really got me into gaming. Several of my favorites have already been mentioned: Smash Up, Smallworld, Shadows over Camelot, Ticket to Ride, Carc. Great games. We have a weekly game night, mostly with newer gamers, so we tend towards the lighter hour-long stuff. Here are a few other faves of mine:

Sheriff of Nottingham is a great bluffing game that works well with anyone. Players take turns being the sheriff, and all other players are trying to smuggle goods into their market past the eye of the sheriff. Lots of bargaining, lots of lying, lots of fun 🙂 We liked this one so much we custom printed cards at Printer Studio to make room for six players.

Escape, along with Smash Up, got me into boardgaming. I like to describe this one as a video game on a table. It’s a cooperative game that plays in ten minutes, with a creepy soundtrack to boot! You’re all adventurers trying to discover the exit to a cursed temple while simultaneously trying to deposit gems in gem rooms to unlock the door to exit the temple. This is a stand-up-and-scream type of game, and we absolutely love it 🙂

Tokaido is first of all beautiful. It’s set in medieval Japan and is very minimalist with a lot of white and gorgeous watercolor drawings. You’re all travelers along the Tokaido road (from Tokyo to Edo), and you will walk along the various spaces trying to collect souvenirs, try interesting foods, paint stunning panoramas, and even bathe in some refreshing hot springs! This is a set collection game that’s really peaceful and zen-feeling, we quite enjoy it!

Five Tribes may be my current favorite game. Based on mancala and kind of a reverse worker-placement game, you’re trying to pick meeples up off the board and use their effects to collect goods, gain victory points, summon djinns to help your efforts, and even assassinate other meeples. I love the tactical aspect of this game, and love the competition.

This is our game collection on BoardGameGeek. Super excited to have fellow gamers around on RR! @mrs-hittle , @pete , I feel like I know you guys better already! 😉

Web designer, web developer, writer.

@admin I’ve seriously wanted to try Five Tribes for a long time now, I think it’s co how they were so purposeful on using mancala.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@admin, it makes my heart so happy that you’re joining us. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! 😀

I’ve seriously wanted to try Five Tribes for a long time now, I think it’s co how they were so purposeful on using mancala.

It’s really worth it. The mancala mechanic is the initial draw but then underneath there’s a lot of strategy and decision in how you’re going to use your workers. It’s such a well put-together game that I don’t even feel a need for the new expansion that just came out.

@mrs-hittle Glad to be here 🙂

Web designer, web developer, writer.

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

Well, here’s most of it.

IMG_0354

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

Attachments:

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

We have much less overlap than i expected, although you do have quite a few that we haven’t purchased because friends have them. What do you think of Shadows of Brimstone? J spent hours putting the minis together. We played it once. The dungeon slaughtered us right out of the gate and then we were dying for hours. J loved it anyway, but i was discouraged. i do like the concept. Is it better with more than two players, do you know?

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

ROBO RALLY! I’m terrible at it, but I adore that game and its horrible, hilarious chaos.

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

My game shelf. I don’t actually own that many games… I let my friends purchase them instead, haha. Not pictured are about 5-6 expansions of Dominion, which are in a plastic bin at the moment. I will, however, draw your attention to the chainmail dice bag, custom made for me by a friend.

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.