Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Author
  • I’m a little ashamed to admit I’ve dabbled in making my own boxes too. Mostly for Descent. I’m also interested in Quadropolis, but I’ve held off because it seems similar to Suburbia (which we love).

Pics! It’s taken me MONTHS to get anywhere near satisfied with custom boxes. I’ve made four now for Glory to Rome, and even with this tutorial that I’m following for the square boxes, it’s taken me several tries to learn how they work right. I’ve scrapped two boxes because I was off on measurements.

So I take it Suburbia is good? I’ve been eyeing Quadropolis mainly bc I trust Days of Wonder to come out with good cames (Five Tribes, Shadows over Camelot, Smallworld, Ticket to Ride, etc etc).

I just bought ‘A Fake Artist Goes to New York’ which is like Spyfall, but with drawing. I also ordered Russian Railroads (in Russian!) for my wife to pick up while in Moscow. It’s a $60 game that goes for $25 over there, so I can definitely see my way to printing out English rules and saving some serious $$$.

Web designer, web developer, writer.

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

@admin Delayed reaction! Ra is good. Auction-based, a bit on the lighter side (think somewhere along the lines of Medici). My game group pulls it out a few times a year, which is pretty rare for the older games. (I can’t even remember the last time I played Catan.)

Cris
    Hutchmate
    @themantheycallcris

I picked up a GIMP script that creates tuckboxes you can print out.  It lets you plug in the dimensions, then it creates the layers you need with the cutlines and foldlines.  Then you just place your images as needed, print/cut/fold/glue, and bask in the glory of folded paper containers!

http://registry.gimp.org/node/28585

Christ is King!!!

The Decemberists have a new board game they are launching on Kickstarter.  Looks really cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twogetherstudios/illimat

For young families, there is also this one produced by the Holderness Family, who have a strong following with their parody videos online.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/familyshowdown/family-showdown-board-game

Has anyone here played the Fluxx card games?

Suburbia is fantastic. Very much like the Castles of Mad King Ludwig (also great), but a bit thinkier.

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

I’m too lazy to look up if anyone posted about Betrayal at House on the Hill (if someone did, it was probably me), but I’m just going to take a minute to plug that the new expansion (Widow’s Walk) is definitely worth it, if only for the variety. Fifty new haunts! An entire new floor! Even more to love about a board game designed around the concept of exploring a haunted house.

I’m too lazy to look up if anyone posted about Betrayal at House on the Hill (if someone did, it was probably me), but I’m just going to take a minute to plug that the new expansion (Widow’s Walk) is definitely worth it, if only for the variety. Fifty new haunts! An entire new floor! Even more to love about a board game designed around the concept of exploring a haunted house.

I’ll be the badguy here and admit that we hate this game 🙁

After a half dozen plays, we grew to hate the first half of the game as it’s just an aimless waste of time, and then the haunts once they start are either broken half the time, impossible half the time, or too easy half the time (3 halves!).

Mansions of Madness, though, is this game turned up to ELEVEN. So stinking awesome. Loved the first edition, and loving the second edition even more.

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

Hah, that’s fair. I think I appreciate Betrayal for its cheesy awesome brokenness. We play it for fun and chaos, not for any sort of strategy. (It *is* hard to win as the traitor, though.)

I’ll have to look up Mansions of Madness. I do love a good Lovecraftian game.

I helped out finishing a game of T.I.M.E Stories tonight. I’m trying really hard not to go into a rant, but I feel compelled to say that unless you like metagaming puzzles which only barely make sense after you’ve managed to guess your way into the solution, save your money and move along. Our experience was weird because it was split over two weeks and I didn’t play the first week. I think if I had come to this with a blank slate, I might feel differently about it. But, I really didn’t like the game. Well, I liked it well enough until we got to a point where we were wondering if there was something we’d missed and now couldn’t figure out. It’s beautiful, very well produced, and with decent mechanics, but it has a game killing puzzle right at the end. It was awful, like when one is dealing with a DM who put in a puzzle with a single solution that is obvious to them but inscrutable to anyone else.

After the game I sat there for a while staring at the pieces until I figured out what the clues were that we missed. Of course, they were obvious in hindsight. And we learned better what we should have been looking for.

I’ll admit that I’m looking forward to trying the next mission. 🙂

SeaFall-box

i got SeaFall for Christmas and am looking forward to playing it with our gaming Geeks. We’ve played through the prologue twice (it’s a legacy game but the prologue doesn’t require changes; it’s just a ramp into the rules and world) and it seems like there might be a good story in it. It’s a seafaring epic with a prophetically tragic backstory, it looks like, so that’s got to be awesome.

Meanwhile, has anyone played this? i just ran across it by accident and it looks interesting.

Scythe-board-game

Oh, and we got this for our six-year-old niece for Christmas and it’s super cool. There’s a maze under the board which is reconfigurable, and you use magnets to navigate it, so you’ve got to figure it out as you go. And the design is really pretty, too.

Magic-Labyrinth-box

Since we’re talking about Christmas, did anyone else get new games?

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.

We love Time Stories. We’ve played through 2 missions and can’t wait to start the 3rd (which is in a fantasy setting).

I’ve heard almost nothing good about Seafall unfortunately 🙁 I crossed it off my wishlist as soon as I found out you can’t play with 2.

I got Quadropolis, Paris Connection, and a Dixit expansion as Christmas presents or Christmas-related purchases 🙂 Quadropolis is pretty great — haven’t played Suburbia but we really enjoy Quad and my wife will play it two-player with me, so there’s that.

Scythe looks great! My father-in-law bought it so I’m looking forward to trying it out this summer. It’s based vaguely on Terra Mystica — one of my favorite games — so I’m eager to test the waters.

I’m trying to limit new game purchases in 2017, but I preordered Vast: the Crystal Caverns, which looks amazing, and I’m also taking a serious, serious look at Tales of the Arabian Nights, which looks absolutely fantastic.

I’ll be the badguy here and admit that we hate this game 🙁 After a half dozen plays, we grew to hate the first half of the game as it’s just an aimless waste of time, and then the haunts once they start are either broken half the time, impossible half the time, or too easy half the time (3 halves!). Mansions of Madness, though, is this game turned up to ELEVEN. So stinking awesome. Loved the first edition, and loving the second edition even more.

I’ve also found it to be inappropriate for Christians. Not for the horror element, certainly, but for the fact that you have to use occult means to defeat demonic forces. I’d be glad to see a version of this game that doesn’t require you to use ‘spirit boards’ and crystal balls to send demons back to Hell, but might require relics, exorcisms, or other Christian methods.

+JMJ+
    +SDG+

Pete, after watching Shut Up & Sit Down review Suburbia, I think you’re right that it’s likely the better game (though I’ve not played it, and also haven’t tried the expert variant of Quadropolis). Even so, the games ‘feel’ very different from what I can tell, so you might still enjoy it! I think the art/presentation are nicer and might lure more casual gamers which is a big thing for my group.

Yep. I’m anxious to get my hands on Quadropolis.

Too bad you guys aren’t anywhere near Missouri, we could just have you over for dinner and a game 😉

Just goes to show that whenever you begin to wonder if you might be crazy, there is always someone crazier:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/240986171/old-west-settlers-of-catan-board-game?ref=market

…because I’m sure we all have a thousand dollars lying around. 😮

Not going to lie, I’d buy that in a heartbeat if money were no object!

If you’re going to go all out, why not pick a better game?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.