Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 147 total)
  • Author

If you’re going to go all out, why not pick a better game?

What would you pick?

Cris
    Hutchmate
    @themantheycallcris

I could see a table customized like that for Robinson Crusoe, or Mage Knight the Board Game maybe…

Christ is King!!!

Daniel Sellers
    Hutchmate
    @daniel-sellers

Fellow board game geek here! My favorites right now are Carcassonne, the Lord of the Rings board game, and a game called Scoville, which is about growing hot peppers 🙂

In addition to board games, is anyone else here into RPGs such as D&D? I recently got a new RPG called The Warren, which is based on Watership Down, and have been really excited about trying it out, but it’s been hard to find a group willing to play!

"It has come to me recently that our lives are like stories. As much as we can, we must drive them to the right endings." - Perena Lewitz, in The Lamb Among the Stars by Chris Walley

Hey Daniel,

I’ve heard Scoville is good! Is it a euro-style game?

Sadly, not into RPGs — can’t commit to the length of time required

Web designer, web developer, writer.

Daniel Sellers
    Hutchmate
    @daniel-sellers

Hey Daniel, I’ve heard Scoville is good! Is it a euro-style game?

I would say it’s a euro, although perhaps not quite as heavy as the average euro. It’s pretty streamlined and is probably somewhere around Catan levels of complexity and heaviness. But I think it’s more fun than Catan. The theme is really well done and all the things you can do in the game from participating in a chili cook-off to selling peppers at a farmer’s market really fit well with the theme. I’ve played with 2 players and with 5 players and it was well balanced for both. Definitely a fantastic game in my opinion. It’s becoming one of my favorites.

"It has come to me recently that our lives are like stories. As much as we can, we must drive them to the right endings." - Perena Lewitz, in The Lamb Among the Stars by Chris Walley

I’m a big fan of the Star Wars Edge of the Empire (et al) RPG. Fewer numbers. More fun.

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

Well, my first post being about board games seems fitting. My family loves board games! Our current go-to’s are Ticket to Ride (European, India, or Dutch expansion), BANG! (spaghetti Western shootout cardgame), and, if we’re just in the mood for something quick and fun, Gubs, which is funny and simple and oddly addicting. And of course there’s the rock-solid Settlers of Catan and Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery board game.

“Don’t believe every worried thought you have. Worried thoughts are notoriously inaccurate.” – Renee Jain

Daniel Sellers
    Hutchmate
    @daniel-sellers

I’m a big fan of the Star Wars Edge of the Empire (et al) RPG. Fewer numbers. More fun.

The Warren is like that as well. Very little math and mostly story-driven. It seems like the perfect game to run at a Hutchmoot 🙂

@bdregge and I are fans of Scoville, @daniel-sellers 🙂 I have to refer to the pepper chart often because I can’t seem to memorize the tertiary color combos, but other than that I really like the variety/replayability.

Puerto Rico and Agricola are definitely in my top ten favorites, and last weekend I finally got to try out Caverna. Verdict: I need to add this game to my collection!

Another game we’ve enjoyed a lot recently is Energy Empire.

I just read back over the early comments on this thread @mrs-hittle and noticed your “church library’s game collection” – which makes every church without one instantly lame.

@rdregge, ha! Not only is our library not lame, it is also officially not a farce. XD We don’t have a huge game collection, but i’m proud to have introduced Forbidden Island and the Princess and the Goblin game to our patrons, along with a few dozen Rabbit books. #indoctrination

The Warren is like that as well. Very little math and mostly story-driven. It seems like the perfect game to run at a Hutchmoot 🙂 

That sounds so fun! i finally just read Watership Down about a month ago and would love to play a rabbit with other rabbits. 😀 A bunch of us played a Narnia-themed 5e one-shot at the last moot. @firstcrusader wrote up amazing backstories for us. She threw in a few extras in case we had any drop-ins, including a Bulgy Bear, which i am desperately and belligerently hoping to see @pete play this year, even if just for five minutes. He would be the perfect Bulgy Bear. Just the idea kills me. We have tried to keep it up over Roll20 but with three time zones between us this has proved to be a challenge.

Now i need to scuttle over to poke at my Narniamoot nerds.

::scuttle::

It looks like Pandemic Legacy Season 2 releases on Thursday, October 26. The review I watched was very positive.

1 user thanked author for this post.

It looks like Pandemic Legacy Season 2 releases on Thursday, October 26. The review I watched was very positive.

!!!!!!!!!!

CAN. NOT. WAIT.

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

We’re still playing through Season 1 with my in-laws, just finished February. Season 2 looks to be interesting (we need to get trucking on 1, though!)

My latest obsessions have been Century: Spice Road (so simple…it totally fires Splendor for me!) and Ascension, though the latter can be really swingy and luck-dependent. I am 0 for 8 in my last 8 games.

@admin! i have been missing you!

I don’t remember if anyone else on here was playing Star Wars Rebellion. If so, have you played with the Rogue One expansion/revision? I’ve only had time to play that way once. I love it. They managed to take what is likely my favorite game right now and make it better. More control, more strategic choices, and the game didn’t get bogged down. So much fun. The 3-4 hours fly by for me and friend when we play it.

We were introduced to this game tonight and i really enjoyed it. Cooperative deckbuilding (i didn’t even know that was a thing), fast gameplay, and pretty simple mechanics.

Aeon’s End

Laure, I’ve heard good things about that one. Cooperative deckbuilding looks interesting to me (deckbuilding isn’t really my mechanic, per se, but maybe a coop would make it better) so I’ll have to check it out! I think my father-in-law owns it.

Here’s what I’ve been playing a ton of lately:

Samurai – Reiner Knizia did this one, and the rules are as simple as they come. Hidden underneath is a super solid game with a lot of strategy. Everyone has the exact same tiles and we’re all interacting on the same board — who wins is totally about playing the players, not the game. (Don’t ruin my plan, plan my ruin!!)

Also, it looks gorgeous:

Second, there’s Concordia — another one with light rules and a lot of strategic depth. It’s a trading game where you try to colonize cities throughout the roman empire and buy/trade goods to earn points. The jewel of this game, though, is the simplicity of your hand. Like many games, you can play a card and then cannot play it again until you ‘rest’ and pick up all your cards. So your options dwindle until you skip your turn and pick everything up. Oh, and for every category you score, you score multiplied by the number of cards of that type in your hand? It’s a little tricky to explain but very easy to play, and the tension is huge in this one! 🙂

A

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.