Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Viewing 19 posts - 141 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Author
  • Concordia seems like one we’ve picked up, “Santorini.” It’s a good two-player strategy game… I love it but can’t get my hubby to play much (maybe because he keeps losing?) The basic premise/rules is really easy, but there is a lot of strategy and trying to maneuver around the other player.

Lately, we’ve been playing either Marvel Legendary or Manhattan Project. Deck builder and worker placements are two of our favorite kinds.

Pandemic Legacy is the #1 ranking game at BoardGameGeek.  Does anyone know how the Legacy sequels compare to the original Pandemic?

@scheb0rk, first of all, drop everything you’re doing and go play Pandemic Legacy right now.

Second: Do you mean, how does Pandemic Legacy compare to the original Pandemic? Or how does Pandemic Legacy Season 2 compare to Season 1? Or how do the other Legacy games compare to Pandemic?

Pandemic Legacy is way better than regular Pandemic, although i suspect that if you’re familiar with the base rules you’ll pick up the Legacy stuff more quickly. We haven’t started Season 2 yet so i can’t directly compare them, but @jwhittle saw a video review that he said looked very promising (link please?). We’ve tried playing SeaFall and haven’t been impressed, and haven’t played Risk Legacy at all.

@mrs-hittle, you answered my question.  Even Amazon is having a hard time keeping Pandemic Legacy (Season 1) in stock, and I wanted a comparison to know if it was worth purchasing over the original Pandemic, or if it was just the original repackaged.

This gives me an opportunity to open Pandora’s Box and ask a question that is heretical to some:  Is there value in playing boardgames on…..a computer/tablet/phone?   There is a Pandemic app for ipad/iphone that is well reviewed (and only $5).  Does playing such a game with others on an iPad diminish the fellowship of playing?

Here’s the review I watched for Season 2. They work to avoid spoilers.

If you haven’t played the base game, play that first; I can’t imagine one would appreciate what Legacy brings if one weren’t familiar with the base game. If you’ve played Pandemic but not Season 1 of Pandemic Legacy, stop what your doing and get Season 1. It is the best thing we’ve done in gaming in the last few years.

From what I’ve seen of Season 2, specifically what looks like some sort of map discovery thing going on, I wouldn’t recommend going straight to it. However, we haven’t actually played it yet, so I might be wrong.

This gives me an opportunity to open Pandora’s Box and ask a question that is heretical to some: Is there value in playing boardgames on…..a computer/tablet/phone? There is a Pandemic app for ipad/iphone that is well reviewed (and only $5). Does playing such a game with others on an iPad diminish the fellowship of playing?

I see you posted right before me earlier. Get the app for $5.

Regarding electronic versus physical board games: As long as people have a way to talk, I think the core experience of people having fun together is fundamentally preserved. We’ve had some success playing over the internet. You lose a lot there, but it still kinda works. Everyone in a room passing around an iPad would have to be better. I imagine it’s easier for people to lose focus, but it’s still everyone in the room having fun.

7Dec2017:  Amazon has Strategy Games on sale today, including Ticket to Ride for $25:

Attachments:

Yeah, tons of good deals in there (except I already own most of them! :blush: )

Dixit at 16 is can’t-miss if you don’t already own it.

Some other good ones:
    Kingdomino for 14
    Photosynthesis for 31
    Imhotep for 20
    Sheriff of Nottingham expansion for 16
    Indigo for 17

BTW, any of y’all on BoardGameGeek itself? Would love to add you guys and stalk check out y’all’s collections! I’m aaj94 over there.

Web designer, web developer, writer.

@admin, are you recommending Dixit just because you get to move little rabbits around the board?  😉

Au contraire! 😉

It’s one of our favorite games 🙂 I love it when the hints force you to learn about the person who gave the hint (my favorites: giving a hint about my feelings, such as ‘my first kiss’ or something, and sound effects. Sound effect hints are great!)

A

Web designer, web developer, writer.

I love a community that loves to game! I’d like to highlight two games that have not received due attention in this thread.

1. Photosynthesis (2017), strategy, 2-4 players

This game is brilliant.

You are a species of tree (oak, maple, pine, or linden) competing for light in an ecosystem, ending the life cycle of your biggest trees to collect soil tokens (victory points). The artwork is spectacular and three-dimensional. It’s pretty easy to learn because nearly every game mechanic is firmly rooted in the theme. Light is the currency, shade is the offense, and that big yellow rotating sun piece is why you need to plan ahead.

2. Concept (2014), guessing game, 2+ players

Image result for concept game

I’ve gotten so much mileage out of this one. Concept is a guessing game in which 1-2 people have a word or phrase that they’re trying to communicate to the rest of the crew. They do this by placing a question mark (the main concept), exclamation points (related concepts), or small cubes (modifiers to a same-colored concept) next to any of a fixed set of icons on the board (including gender, material, field of study, shape, color, etc.). For example, in the picture above, the main concept is maybe a tall black man having to do with recreation; a related concept is probably the Windy City (yellow).

It’s a steep climb to get familiar with what’s available on the board, but after that it’s a grand time. Also, there’s no good way to compete in this game. I find that it’s far more collaborative in nature.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Huh, I can’t seem to find my post. Says it’s there on the board index, but the last reply I see is @lord-thoan ‘s. Sooooo I guess I’ll post again! I’ve now read through & enjoyed this entire thread. I want Pandemic: Legacy so badly, but I have a terrible time spending money on myself (probably a good problem to have). Good to see that my desire is justified. I’m also intrigued by Concept, but I don’t know if it would really work with my regular game group.

My regular game group leans towards social deduction games, but we’re so tired of Mafia & Werewolf that we’ve branched out. We really like Secret Hitler, & I just played an intriguing one called–I kid you not–Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space. Spyfall‘s a fun one, too, although we found it can be easy to get into a rut with that one.

I was given T.I.M.E. Stories for Christmas, & let me tell you, I have just fallen in love with it. It’s one of the absolute best-designed games I’ve played. I also really enjoy Mysterium, & I’ve been steadily introducing that one to our friends.

Anyone else play any of those?

@krose Mysterium is one of our absolute favorites! We just got the second expansion which has so many new visions. We’re still trying to solve the first T.I.M.E. Stories quest, and we got the Endurance quest for Christmas. Which quests have you played?

I prefer Bang to Mafia or Werewolf, but I’ve never played Secret Hitler – tell me more!

Concept looks interesting, we may have to check it out. When we get a good group we like to play Codenames, a language-based guessing game using cards placed in a grid with words or pictures on them, in which the object is to get your teammates to guess as many cards as possible using one-word clues.

@rdegge, we solved Asylum, but haven’t looked into any others yet. We want to do Asylum again & explore all the options we didn’t take on our first playthrough. I’m so happy to see a fellow Mysterium fan! IT’S SUCH A GOOD GAME!

I’ve heard of Bang, but not played it yet, though it sounds intriguing. Secret Hilter is a game mirroring the circumstances that brought the real Hitler into the 1930s. The game has 2 factions: liberals and fascists. The fascists know who each other are, but not who Hitler is. The liberals have no idea who’s who.

Fascists win by either getting Hitler into the role of Chancellor or enacting 6 fascist policies. Liberals win by either killing Hitler or enacting 5 fascist policies. The game is played by electing a President & Chancellor each round & then voting to enact policies. It’s deliciously tense & full of intrigue.

Also, I just discovered you can download all the materials for free from the makers here: http://maxistentialism.com/secrethitler/ I’d say it’s worth it to buy the game, though, if you have the budget for it.

@krose I think your post is MIA again? The board index says “new reply” and that you posted only a few minutes ago, but there is nothing here. ☹ Maybe it will eventually appear if we are patient?

[Posting again, because the forum ate my post again!]

Hello, fellow Mysterium fan! I’m so happy to see someone else how appreciates that game. I love playing the ghost and ramping up the drama when we play, especially with new people. Dramatic pauses and solemn declarations of how much time has passed abound.

We solved Asylum, but haven’t done any other campaigns yet. We want to do Asylum again & explore all the paths we didn’t take before. Isn’t the box design just incredible? A save system! Absolute genius! I’m in love with the way they’ve designed the game to continually surprise you, as well. I haven’t heard of the Endurance quest yet. I’ll have to check it out.

Secret Hitler is a game about the circumstances during which Hitler came to power. It has 2 factions: fascists and liberals, and one fascist is randomly designated as Hitler. The fascists all know who each other are, but not who Hitler is. The liberals don’t know who’s who.

The game is played by electing a Chancellor & President each round, and then voting to enact either liberal or fascist policies. Liberals win by either killing Hitler or enacting enough liberal policies. Fascists win by getting Hitler voted into being Chancellor or enacting enough fascist policies.

It’s deliciously tense and full of political intrigue. And let’s be honest, it’s fun to accuse your friends of being Hitler.

I’ve heard about Bang, but not played it yet. It sounds fun!

We haven’t played vanilla Mafia in a long time. However, my friend has a Werewolf deck with about 15 different roles (we don’t even know what some of the roles do–it was a Kickstarter & he lost access to the rules), so we often try out different combinations of roles to keep it interesting.

You sound very similar to my husband @bdregge who also loves to play the ghost and who is also obsessed with thoughtful box storage designs.

I’m still trying to put into words why I shy away from Mafia, so I’m not sure how I would feel about being Hitler. I think why I prefer Bang is that actions reveal who you are more than conversation. In Mafia I tend to be talkative if I am innocent and silent if guilty, and I just can’t “fake it” or make up a thematic backstory on the spot in a group of people. I think I’ll just have to play all of these games more so that I can collect further data. 😉

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

@krose Sorry about that. Your replies got flagged as spam for some reason. Shouldn’t happen again.

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

Viewing 19 posts - 141 through 159 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.