Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Confessions of a Boardgame Geek

Viewing 7 posts - 141 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • Author
  • Concordia seems like one we’ve picked up, “Santorini.” It’s a good two-player strategy game… I love it but can’t get my hubby to play much (maybe because he keeps losing?) The basic premise/rules is really easy, but there is a lot of strategy and trying to maneuver around the other player.

Lately, we’ve been playing either Marvel Legendary or Manhattan Project. Deck builder and worker placements are two of our favorite kinds.

Pandemic Legacy is the #1 ranking game at BoardGameGeek.  Does anyone know how the Legacy sequels compare to the original Pandemic?

@scheb0rk, first of all, drop everything you’re doing and go play Pandemic Legacy right now.

Second: Do you mean, how does Pandemic Legacy compare to the original Pandemic? Or how does Pandemic Legacy Season 2 compare to Season 1? Or how do the other Legacy games compare to Pandemic?

Pandemic Legacy is way better than regular Pandemic, although i suspect that if you’re familiar with the base rules you’ll pick up the Legacy stuff more quickly. We haven’t started Season 2 yet so i can’t directly compare them, but @jwhittle saw a video review that he said looked very promising (link please?). We’ve tried playing SeaFall and haven’t been impressed, and haven’t played Risk Legacy at all.

@mrs-hittle, you answered my question.  Even Amazon is having a hard time keeping Pandemic Legacy (Season 1) in stock, and I wanted a comparison to know if it was worth purchasing over the original Pandemic, or if it was just the original repackaged.

This gives me an opportunity to open Pandora’s Box and ask a question that is heretical to some:  Is there value in playing boardgames on…..a computer/tablet/phone?   There is a Pandemic app for ipad/iphone that is well reviewed (and only $5).  Does playing such a game with others on an iPad diminish the fellowship of playing?

Here’s the review I watched for Season 2. They work to avoid spoilers.

If you haven’t played the base game, play that first; I can’t imagine one would appreciate what Legacy brings if one weren’t familiar with the base game. If you’ve played Pandemic but not Season 1 of Pandemic Legacy, stop what your doing and get Season 1. It is the best thing we’ve done in gaming in the last few years.

From what I’ve seen of Season 2, specifically what looks like some sort of map discovery thing going on, I wouldn’t recommend going straight to it. However, we haven’t actually played it yet, so I might be wrong.

This gives me an opportunity to open Pandora’s Box and ask a question that is heretical to some: Is there value in playing boardgames on…..a computer/tablet/phone? There is a Pandemic app for ipad/iphone that is well reviewed (and only $5). Does playing such a game with others on an iPad diminish the fellowship of playing?

I see you posted right before me earlier. Get the app for $5.

Regarding electronic versus physical board games: As long as people have a way to talk, I think the core experience of people having fun together is fundamentally preserved. We’ve had some success playing over the internet. You lose a lot there, but it still kinda works. Everyone in a room passing around an iPad would have to be better. I imagine it’s easier for people to lose focus, but it’s still everyone in the room having fun.

Viewing 7 posts - 141 through 147 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.