Favorite albums of the year so far?

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Favorite albums of the year so far?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • Ben
    Hutchmate
    @benjikunz

I’m curious what everyone’s been listening to so far this year. I haven’t listened to Drew and Ellie Holcomb’s new albums enough for me to put them on my list but I’m gonna have to change that soon. Also, that Sun Kite album didn’t technically come out this year, but it’s taken up a good portion of 2017 for me and more people need to know about him. 🙂 These are my personal favorite albums so far this year:

1. After Laughter – Paramore
    2. No Fire – The Sun Kite
    3. Two Parts Viper – ’68
    4. Visuals – Mew
    5. Only the Lonely – Colony House
    6. Canopy – nobigdyl.
    7. All Is Not Lost – The Brilliance

Really surprised by how much I love the new Paramore album. I’ve always been a casual fan, but their new stuff is next level. There’s a huge 80’s vibe that they absolutely nail on the record.

Not sure if anyone here is into Beautiful Eulogy, but assuming Andrew Peterson has nothing up his sleeve, that’s far and away my most anticipated record of the year. Been waiting so long for that one!

I’ve sadly had a weird year where I haven’t kept up with new music as usual. This makes me sad. But yessssss to The Brilliance. So good. Loved Colony House as well, and everybody should get to the RR store and discover The Orchardist if folkiness is your jam. 🙂

Give Ellie’s some more spins. It was a grower for me, but those songs are so warm and gentle.

Andy
    Hutchmate
    @andytate

I have found some bands I really like this year but some of the albums are older but they are newer to me. Here’s some I have become a fan of.

The Lone Bellow – Then Came the Morning
    Kaleo – A/B
    The Head and the Heart
    Bethany Barnard – A Better Word (previously Bethany Dillon. This album is fabulous!)
    The Classic Crime – How to be Human
    Ellie Holcomb – Red Sea Road
    Future of Forestry – Awakened to the Sound (The instrumental album is great for writing music)
    My Epic – Viscera (though I found it late last year … they are one of my top favorite bands)
    Rachel Wilhelm – Songs of Lament

Ben
    Hutchmate
    @benjikunz

The Orchardist is so good! I need to check out that full-length on their Bandcamp, but that video Andrew Peterson posted gave me chills. Reminded me of all the best parts of The Oh Hellos and they’re one of my favorite bands.

I have found some bands I really like this year but some of the albums are older but they are newer to me. Here’s some I have become a fan of. The Lone Bellow – Then Came the Morning Kaleo – A/B The Head and the Heart Bethany Barnard – A Better Word (previously Bethany Dillon. This album is fabulous!) The Classic Crime – How to be Human Ellie Holcomb – Red Sea Road Future of Forestry – Awakened to the Sound (The instrumental album is great for writing music) My Epic – Viscera (though I found it late last year … they are one of my top favorite bands) Rachel Wilhelm – Songs of Lament

I really need to get on the Then Came the Morning train. I’ve heard so much about that record and The Lone Bellow in general. And The Classic Crime’s newest record is excellent! Totally forgot about it when I wrote up my list. Favorite thing they’ve put out since their Silver Cord album.

Also, I love the My Epic mention. They’re my favorite band period. Very few bands hit me the way they do on a musical level and I don’t think any band hits me the way they do on a lyrical level (which just adds to the music). I always mention them first along with Andrew Peterson when someone asks me for music suggestions.

Ben
    Hutchmate
    @benjikunz

I have to add, Manchester Orchestra just released their new album A Black Mile to the Surface and it’s unbelievably good.

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

So far, Propaganda’s Crooked.

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

John Barber
    Hutchmaster
    @barberjo

I’m pretty stoked about Manchester Orchestra’s new record. Also, Jeff Tweedy’s new live album is fantastic.

I recently stumbled upon Works Songs by The Porter’s Gate Worship Project. It’s a collaborative album by a lot of great artists (Audrey Assad, Josh Garrels, David Gungor, and Latifah Alattas from Page CXVI to name a few). All the songs touch upon the theme of vocation and work in one way or another. I’ve found them encouraging and they challenge me to think about how all of life is service to the Lord. Plus, the music is just gorgeous!

1 user thanked author for this post.

@alind, oh my gosh, i loved that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.