Favorite new discovery (in books)

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Favorite new discovery (in books)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)
  • Author
  • Kate Hinson
    Participant
    @redheadkate

What is your favorite book or author you discovered within the last year?

Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

Mine is certainly Lonesome Dove. Because it’s the best book ever.

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

John Barber
    Hutchmaster
    @barberjo

Lonesome Dove would probably be mine too…. But Daniel Wallace would have to be up there. I had read Big Fish years ago, after seeing the movie, but in the last year I read Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician and it blew me away. Then, I went on and devoured a few more of his books.

Linda Rogers
    Participant
    @misslinda

I think I have to go with Chaim Potok’s The Chosen. It surprised me, both in the way it was written and the meaning I found in it.

Chris Yokel
    Hutchmate
    @chrisyokel

Probably Howard Frank Mosher. He strikes me as kind of a Faulkner for New England, in that all of his stories take place in a quasi-fictional region of Northern Vermont and repeatedly involve several families.

John Barber
    Hutchmaster
    @barberjo

Mosher – that was me in my grunge phase in high school.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Calvin and Hobbes. Hands down.

Linda Rogers
    Participant
    @misslinda

Ok, you win. Nobody beats Calvin and Hobbes.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@pete, i’m so excited to start reading that book. 🙂

Chris Yokel
    Hutchmate
    @chrisyokel

@pete, I bought a copy of Lonesome Dove the other day just because of you, so it better be good. 🙂

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@chrisyokel, i’m about a third of the way through Lonesome Dove right now, thanks to Pete. 🙂 i’m really enjoying it. Have you started it yet?

Chris Yokel
    Hutchmate
    @chrisyokel

@mrs-hittle Not yet.

Jessica P
    Hutchmate
    @pickandgrin

Gene Stratton-Porter! After many recommendations by friends I finally read her Laddie and The Keeper of the Bees. Both are excellent stories that refresh. Looking forward to Girl of the Limberlost soon.

I’m reading Lauren Graham’s debut novel, “Someday, Someday, Maybe” because my brain hurts this summer and also because… Lorelai Gilmore. It’s a fun, light read – in first person present, which always throws me.

Sandy
    Hutchmate
    @sjohnson

@pete

I read through the entire Lonesome Dove series back to back.  I will never forget that series or it’s characters.  I highly recommend it to everyone!

Sandy
    Hutchmate
    @sjohnson

After hearing Andrew Peterson (what’s his nickname on here anyway?) recommend Jayber Crow over and over, I finally read it.

I have never enjoyed a book more than Jayber Crow.  I have since gone on to read Nathan Coulter, Hannah Coulter, and Andy Catlett.  I cannot get enough of Port William and it’s inhabitants.

If you’re looking for a nice sci-fi read for the summer, I just read and enjoyed the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown.   It’s basically The Hunger Games in outer space, but it’s a good quick read.

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

Anyone here ever read Kristin Lavransdatter? It always struck me as a very rabbity book.

K. Fisher
    Hutchmate
    @k-fisher

Jessica P, I have been reading and collecting Gene Stratton-Porter since I was very young. Every time I think I have everything she had ever written, I find out about another book or essay that I don’t have. And the search will resume.

Peter Brunone
    Hutchmate
    @peterbrunone
    1. Trenton Lee Stewart, of The Mysterious Benedict Society
    2. J. Philip Horne (a human being with whom I am familiar) published a pretty darn good middle-grade novel called Joss the Seven. 
    3. Nate Wilson’s Outlaws of Time

Chris Yokel
    Hutchmate
    @chrisyokel

@peterbrunone The Mysterious Benedict Society is a wonderful series. I almost wonder if the author is a Christian, based on the conclusion.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.