Favorite new discovery (in books)

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Favorite new discovery (in books)

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Amy
    Hutchmate
    @awfreer

The Magician’s Elephant. How can something so short be so packed? Also, The Killer Angels.

My current discoveries are:

Joseph Pieper

• Only the Lover Sings
    • Leisure: The Basis of Culture

David Clayton

• The Way of Beauty

Andrew Thornton-Norris

• A Spiritual History of English

+JMJ+
    +SDG+

1 user thanked author for this post.

The Killer Angels! i fell in love with every general in that book.

Profile photo of Matt Garner
    Matt Garner
    Hutchmate
    @mattgarner

I was late to the game on Justin Cronin’s The Passage series (The Passage, The Twelve, The City of Mirrors), but I’ve rarely so loved so many characters and then missed them horribly when it was over. I’m reading Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep right now because I adored The Shining and thankfully read it before I saw the film (both are great but very different). It’s really terrific.

www.matthewgarner.com

It appears that I get to be the first to recommend John Blase’s The Jubilee: Poems. I cannot speak highly enough about this short collection (50, which makes sense, I suppose). Here is a link to my review of it.

Love Up
    Love Down
    Love In
    Love Out

1 user thanked author for this post.

@dockanz That’s crazy! i was just reading that yesterday. Let me be the second to recommend it. My amanuensis and i discovered John Blase about a month ago at the recommendation of Rebecca Reynolds and his poems were my favorite things we read that night. i’m currently writing a paper on creation care and i had to go back and reread them.

Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Hutchmate
    @jamiehupfer

I recently fell in love with the Shiloh series by Helena Sorensen. I could not put it down.

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Hutchmate
    @andytate

Right now I am loving the collection of essays of Thomas Merton in No Man is an Island. So good! Surprisingly good … was not expecting to be highlighting so many sections in this book.

Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Hutchmate
    @jamiehupfer

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@andytate,  thank you for sharing this title. I am in the middle of his collection called  Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander. It is so very good.  I had a similar thought reading through this one. I hadn’t expected to highlight and underline so much.  I’m going to add the title you shared to my list.</p>

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Hutchmate
    @andytate

@jamiehupfer

I shall do the same thing with the one you mentioned. Thanks! As with every other author/book I have read the past few years I have gotten it from the rabbit room. They have been my source for quality literature the past few years! Have wanted to read some of Merton but never got around to it, now I am glad that I am!

Also to the audio book of Teaching a Stone to Talk by Annie Dillard. Love it! One of my favorite books I read last year.

Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Hutchmate
    @jamiehupfer

<p style=”text-align: center;”>@andytate, glad to hear you will add that title. It is excellent. I have just added No Man to my wishlist for a future purchase. I read Merton for the first time two years ago with his autobiography. I am enjoying reading some of his other works as well as a biography on him throughout this year. And I could not agree with you more in regards to The Rabbit Room and the quality we get to enjoy from them.</p>

Mine is certainly Lonesome Dove. Because it’s the best book ever.

Definitely in my top 10 reads ever!

Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Hutchmate
    @jamiehupfer

After seeing it mentioned several times in the forum, I just ordered a copy of Lonesome Dove.

<p style=”text-align: center;”></p>

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.