Writers: Introductions

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Writers: Introductions

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Dear fellow writers: Welcome! Pull up a seat, pour yourself some tea, and tell us what you’re working on. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

Hello!

I’m working on a manuscript that began as a spiritual memoir and morphed into a new adult novel (a genre I’ve only just heard about from another writer buddy). It’s a coming-of-age / coming-of-faith story written from a very emotional, sensory voice with an underlying psychological theme. It is currently untitled because creating titles = pulling your hair out. I’m so thankful to have other writers around me to encourage me in the process and challenge me by sharing upcoming contests (like Pitch Wars – check it out!). However, I’ll be checking back here frequently to see what other published – and aspiring – writers are up to, so I can learn and polish my craft.

To be continued…

This forum is a wonderful idea! I’m mostly working on picture book manuscripts, but I’m hoping to do some editing this summer on a chapter book series I wrote. However, I usually assume summer will give me more free time than it actually does (with four kids, this should be no surprise).

(Hi, Laurie- @mrs-hittle -not sure if you remember me, but we were in Jonathan Roger’s Flannery O’Conner class together last summer).

Profile photo of Laure Hittle
    Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@storklove, awesome! Good to see you here. 😀

@ohheybailz That sounds great! I’m looking forward to reading it.

Profile photo of James Witmer
    James Witmer
    Hutchmate
    @jamesdwitmer

I agree, this forum seems like a fun idea.

I’m chipping away at a YA novel. It’s the first story of any size that I’ve intentionally grounded in Real Life as I’ve experienced it. But it’s a fantasy adventure… I think. Liking the contrast and tension so far.

Profile photo of Dawn Morrow
    Dawn Morrow
    Hutchmate
    @dawn11476

I’m playing with a poetry collection, and I’ve got a short story that has been a long time coming.

Profile photo of Jessica P
    Jessica P
    Hutchmate
    @pickandgrin

A shy hello from a reader who’s not a writer, but as a reader I will say a big thank you to those of you who do the long work of Story. I’ll probably not frequent the forum much (time! children! homeschooling! reading!), but I love the idea of stopping in for book ideas and sharing. Thank you for a place to do that!

Profile photo of Josh Duncan
    Josh Duncan
    Hutchmate
    @joshua-duncan

I’m mainly working on journaling, blogging, and sorting out the thoughts in my head. I do have an idea for a book comparing the thought and lives of two particular 20th century monastics, but that would be a major long term project.

Profile photo of Suzanne Tietjen
    Suzanne Tietjen
    Hutchmate
    @suzishepherd

Hi. I’m Suzanne Tietjen and I write. A couple of nonfiction books for the Christian Market and for the last three years I’ve been a contributor to Guideposts Mornings with Jesus. I’m working on a nonfiction Christian living book and writing a novel.

I’m also working on self-discipline, which is sorely lacking here.

I’ve been working on a memoir for several years. It is complicated because to tell my story would wound several family members. For now, I’m collecting bits of pieces of other people’s stories who have gone through similar situations of abuse, dysfunction, betrayal, love, and loss. I would also like for more time to pass to see if there will be redemption in the rest of the story or value in telling it at all.

I hope the memoir works out for you, Brenda! I understand the feeling of wanting to express the truth yet not hurt other people. Love you!

1 user thanked author for this post.

<span class=”handle-sign”>Hi @</span>jamesdwitmer – It’s fun to hear what you are writing (I’ve always suspected all the Story Warren peeps to be writers). Have you read the book Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu? I’m curious if that’s similar to what you mean by real life + fantasy. It’s a fun read, maybe a little more on the middle-grade side than YA. I hope the writing is going well!

Hi @jamesdwitmer – It’s fun to hear what you are writing (I’ve always suspected all the Story Warren peeps to be writers). Have you read the book Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu? I’m curious if that’s similar to what you mean by real life + fantasy. It’s a fun read, maybe a little more on the middle-grade side than YA. I hope the writing is going well!

I’m currently working on my 4th novel, ARTHUR’S BLADE, which is really book one of my second trilogy.  Thankful to have had a publisher for my first three, this one and the following will either be with a different publisher or else I’ll self-publish.

Within the novel, which is about 60% finished, I’m currently working on rewriting an old Welsh legend about “Bran the Blessed” and turning it into a poetic ballad.  Only a few more stanzas!

<span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>jamesdwitmer … what is your fantasy about?

<div class=”activity-inner”>

I’m currently working on my 4th novel, ARTHUR’S BLADE, which is really book one of my second trilogy.  Thankful to have had a publisher for my first three, this one and the following will either be with a different publisher or else I’ll self-publish.

Within the novel, which is about 60% finished, I’m currently working on rewriting an old Welsh legend about “Bran the Blessed” and turning it into a poetic ballad.  Only a few more stanzas!

James Witmer … what is your fantasy about?

</div>

(There seems to be some strange things that happen when you include someone’s @ handle in a post … and if you cut and paste anything, you might get some strange tags that appear after posting.  Also, if you go to your profile view and delete a post, it doesn’t actually delete.  Oh well … growing pains for the forum!)

@treskillard -exact same thing happened to me. I think @pete is the person to notify. The @ handle only works if there is no punctuation touching it (and if you didn’t try to cut and paste).

@treskillard -exact same thing happened to me. I think @pete is the person to notify. The @ handle only works if there is no punctuation touching it (and if you didn’t try to cut and paste).

And my last post posted twice for no apparent reason. *sigh*

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.