Writers: Introductions

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Writers: Introductions

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@petchr24 Thank you! 🙂

Profile photo of Tresta Payne
    Tresta Payne
    Hutchmate
    @trestapayne

I’m so thankful for this safe place to spill out some of our writing projects – I generally shy away from talking about works-in-progress because of the pressure. I freak out when my husband peaks over the top of my laptop.

@davidbelston, your biography of your friend sounds very interesting to me! We just had some friends from Myanmar stay with us for a week, people my husband met on a teaching trip. I look forward to hearing more about your friend’s testimony. For years there’s been a nagging to write something similar about a friend from NE India but the project is too big for me, though the story is amazing and continuing.

Currently, I’m taking Jonathon Rogers’ Writing with Flannery O’Connor course (great stuff), and trying to wrestle down all the ideas for a spiritual memoir based upon my life in this tiny town.

Profile photo of Kate Willis
    Kate Willis
    Hutchmate
    @katewillis

This is a great thread! I enjoyed reading through everyone’s introductions, and I look forward to seeing these works published. I come from a family that breathes stories, so when I list my hobbies it’s hilarious how many have to do with words. I have self-published one book for middle grade readers called The Treasure Hunt. It started out as a gift for one of my younger sisters, but my mom encouraged me to make it available to other young readers as well. Other word-related projects I am currently a part of are helping a friend with administrative work on a networking blog for homeschooled authors, regularly submitting short stories to a website for aspiring writers, and preparing to publish my second book. I also have five stories in the editing stages, and two that are slowly working themselves out onto paper. (Really slowly.) I’ve written (or almost written) something in every genre, but I think I tend to overuse medieval. I have yet to write anything of novel length, but I look forward to the experience when I grow in my skill and inspiration. ; ) I love the Gospel, red shoes, a good story, little children, great conversations, and chai tea. (And the Rabbit Room.)

I’ve got a new YA fantasy (near-future/slightly dystopian) simmering. I’ve met the characters and have a concept, but I’m trying discover the world.

On the back of the hob is another YA fantasy (closer to high fantasy, but no dragons) called Rosefire that I’m shopping around to publishers. And then there’s a middle-grade book that I liken to fantastic-allegorical-parables which I’m seriously considering self-publishing, since it doesn’t seem to fit into any of the “right” categories for traditional publishing.

Hats off to all of you! Loving all the stories and novels and non-fiction ideas that everyone has. Really looking forward to cheering you all on as the works progress to a finished (and hopefully published!) state!

Hello, writers. 🙂

I’m working on my fourth book right now. It’s a novel that falls somewhere between high fantasy and historical fiction. I’ve finished two drafts, and I’m actually looking for beta readers because I’m nervous about how this book will come across to the average reader. On the surface it is every bit as pagan as Till We Have Faces, but I’m hoping I won’t lose my readers before the revelation at the end. Yeesh. It’s tricky!

1 user thanked author for this post.

@petchr24 Your steampunk/automaton/thief book sounds intriguing. And whose first draft of their first book wasn’t horrible and awful? 🙂

Thanks, @helena 🙂 I’d be happy to be a beta reader for you. I’m intrigued by your description! Send me a private message, if you’d like, and we can figure out the logistics.

Hi!  I’m currently in the planning stage for my first real novel, which has been a really fun process; it was floating around in my head in different forms for a while, and by God’s grace it’s finally taking a more concrete form.  It’s an epic fantasy of sorts, about a world created by the Song of the Creator, a shy girl with the extremely rare ability to hear it, and a forest containing all sorts of strange and unusual creatures.  I’m really hoping to at least start on the first draft by the end of the summer, since I’ll be really busy in the fall.  I also have one or two side projects (including a dystopian epistolary thing that’s still mostly just floating around my imagination), which hopefully will all be showing up on my blog at some point, and I love writing poetry as well.  Other than writing, I enjoy the National Bible Bee, tea, pencils, and chocolate, and good art (especially music and books). =)  @mrs-hittle thanks so much for this thread!  It’s great to get to see what fellow authors are working on, and very encouraging.

Well, about 4 years ago I started writing a collection of poems which has grown into one completed volume called ‘Gnomes of the Cheese Forest’ with enough leftover material for a second one – still in progress.  I’ve recently submitted to a few publishers and waiting to see what the next steps should be.

Here’s my blog where I’ve been documenting the process: http://gnomesofthecheeseforest.blogspot.ca/

On top of this I have ideas for a short story collection and at least one fantasy novel which I chip away at now and then.

Kate Willis
    Hutchmate
    @katewillis

@kat828 Wow, your story sound really intriguing!

Hi folks—

I’ve written on-and-off over the years, including

• Poetry and short stories in college (many years ago)
    • Lots of marketing content on presentations and photography in recent years
    • Haiku and forthcoming short stories

Looking forward to seeing what you’all do as well.

Cheers—

Michael

Michael Gowin
    Lincoln, IL
    http://michaelgowin.com

Wow – Such great and intriguing ideas here!  Love it!  (Though I wouldn’t expect anything less from Rabbit Room folks!)

I’ve got a couple of books I’m working on, though my main project right now is a middle grade fantasy novel.  It’s about a boy named Walter who gets pulled into another world (along with a few others) through a magical book.  There, he encounters new friends and some nasty enemies, all while trying to find the book’s twin that will take them back to their world.  I thought I had it done and even had a query letter all set to go, and then I came to the harsh (and frustrating) realization that I had set it in the wrong time period.  Ugh.  So instead of 1924, I’m now revamping it to be set in the modern day.  A lot of work, but hopefully it’ll be worth it and make it a better, stronger, and more fun book to read.  Goodbye, tweed coat – hello, jeans and screen-printed t-shirt!

@petchr24 – your book sounds so interesting!  Let me know if you’d care for another pair of eyes to read it.

Profile photo of Laure Hittle
    Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@tsayles, how come 1924 didn’t work? Cheering you on as you edit!

@tsayles, that sounds like a frustrating alteration to make! The book sounds like great fun, though. I hope the changes are going smoothly.

@mrs-hittle – The shift from 1924 came after some readings/reviews from a few people who really liked it but that it felt the beginning felt a bit slow and difficult with which to connect, and so the shift is my attempt to make it a more engaging read that’s a bit more relatable.  Don’t worry – I’ve got the original version still on file.  I’m trying to think of this shift as an experiment – If it works, awesome.  If it doesn’t, well, there’s always the original (which I love).

Thanks for the encouragement, @helena!  I’m really intrigued by your book, as well, especially after the Till We Have Faces comparison!

Profile photo of Laure Hittle
    Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@tsayles, that sounds like a good approach!

I’m working on a YA/historical fiction novel I wrote during NaNoWriMo last year. It’s tentatively titled I Am Not a Hero, about a high school student struggling to make sense of a crumbling family life. In the middle of his own hardship, a strained friendship with a WWII veteran pressures him to view the world outside of himself. But as the two begrudgingly allow each other into their lives, they discover their startling similarities which they craftily use to their own advantage until their “friendship” is tearing each other down. At its heart this story is an attempt at processing the reality of the brokenness of the world that startles me on a daily basis- trying to understand the pain people feel, the way lives influence one another even without trying, how everyone’s stories matter, and how “hope does not disappoint” (Romans 5:5). I fail at following any sort of plot outline, so things get kind of muddled for me sometimes, but hopefully extensive editing is going to take care of all that. (I also fail at summarizing my stories, so that’s the best I can offer right now!)

@katewillis thank you!  That is really cool that you’ve self-published; I’m thinking about putting together a little collection of short stories, poems, etc. toward the end of this year so I can give it to friends and family as Christmas presents; so I guess I will be figuring out CreateSpace…  Anyway, I was wondering, what are the websites you write for?

Kate Willis
    Hutchmate
    @katewillis

@kat828 That’s awesome! Publishing is so amazing; I can’t wait to do it again! I write short stories for Noble Novels, help with administrative work for Homeschooled Authors, and have my own author blog called Once Upon an Ordinary.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.