Writers: Introductions

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Writers: Introductions

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 131 total)
  • Author
  • @dockanz Welcome Jason. Larry Crabb is a friend of mine. I’d love to read your manuscript on him. Is it posted somewhere?

@bren1756 The manuscript is currently under review at a journal and so not available anywhere. I would be happy to send a copy to you if you want to message me your email address.

Love Up
    Love Down
    Love In
    Love Out

Hi everyone,

I’m Athena, and I love to write but hate blogging!  I mostly write nonfiction essays, though I have been working on a fiction book off and on for about a year.  I have no formal training (just N.D. Wilson’s “School of Fantastical Wordcraft”) and no work published.  I’ve been told that gaining a blog following is the best way to get published, but surely there are other options?  I had a blog for about a year, but I just didn’t care for the work of advertising and maintaining it.  How do you get your foot in the door?  Is there even a good avenue for nonfiction essays?

Thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.

@athenaz317 i’m not yet to the point of even seeking publication, so i can’t give you advice on good authority, but what about literary journals? Ruminate publishes nonfiction essays, and i’m guessing Image does also. i’m sure there are others that i’m unfamiliar with. For that matter, the Rabbit Room takes guest post submissions.

Hello, fellow writers! I’ve been interesting in The Rabbit Room for a while now, but this is sort of my first time officially joining the community. I’m currently working on a young adult Christian sci-fi novel (potentially a series??? We’ll see where it goes), and I’ve been kind of hungry for fellow Christian writers I can talk to and bounce ideas off of. Writing can be a lonely business sometimes, and I love sharing my ideas! I just recently got my own author website set up thanks to one of the classes I’m taking, so that’s got me hungry to get some real writing done so I can actually prove I’m a writer who deserves a website, I guess! XD; Anyhoo, please feel free to send me a message, I’d love to meet new people and talk about all kind of nerdy stuff!

“Don’t believe every worried thought you have. Worried thoughts are notoriously inaccurate.” – Renee Jain

Most of my writing to date has been non-fiction: freelance articles, blog posts, essays, reviews, etc. But I seem to have caught a creative writing bug and now have a few things in the works.

The first is a series of poems on motherhood written to encourage other moms in the trenches. I’d love to publish them someday… For now they’re trickling onto the blog: http://www.thedonahuedaily.com

That led to a second project that is growing by leaps and bounds. I (cannot believe that I am saying that I) am writing a series of short stories–parables, maybe?–designed to 1) give families a narrative that inspires a positive view of God’s good design for sex–because we DO have the better story than what our culture presents, and 2) give common language for the ongoing conversations parents are having with their children about the role of sex in God’s greater story. We’re tackling all the big issues our sexualized culture throws at our kids. I feel like I’m in way over my head, but I have to rely so much more on the Spirit when I’m writing out of my weakness instead of my wheelhouse. My husband is a fantastic sounding board and idea man (we now have a business plan for this thing), and friends are giving critical feedback to help shape the first installation. (So far comments have been positive!) If any of you story people would like to give input, I’d be delighted to send you a link to the google doc. It’s so hard to get people to give critical feedback! But that’s what we need! This thing is on its 10th draft or so, but it’s just not there yet… I won’t be satisfied until each line sings. We’re currently talking with the president of pureHOPE about looking for ways to partner with them (since their Quest course is what birthed this idea). Hoping to begin submissions to publishers in August…  I’m dreaming big of maybe partnering one day with people like IJM to help tell their story and donate a percentage of profits to combat sex trafficking. (Thanks to @andrew for introducing us to their organization at BTLOG!) Some days I get so excited about this project I can’t wait to get it out there, but I’m going to need a lot of help to get it from (what my husband keeps reassuring me is) good to great.

"I really wasn't a reader, until I started reading." -Mick Donahue

@racheldonahue – I love the idea of your new project. If you need a contact at IJM, I’ve got a college friend who works in their fundraising/partners area–and he’s a writer with an English Ed background. I don’t know what could come of it, but he’d definitely be a great contact for you. Let me know and I can try to get you connected.

@racheldonahue the concept of your project seems wonderful and is highly needed. Press on! Sounds like you have a lot of help and support but if I can lend a hand in any way please let me know. When it comes time to submit to publishers, I may be able to help you connect directly with a few quality publishing houses who are on the lookout for this sort of resource.

@carrieg, wow, that would be amazing! Yes, please connect me with your friend. Even if official partnership weren’t possible, I think we could certainly shape future stories to help increase awareness. I’d LOVE to have feedback from someone directly connected. I think making those connections now will help when it comes time to find a publisher.

@scottjames, thank you for the offer! I’m going to start a new thread in the author’s corner with a link and a list of questions I have for feedback. I’d be much appreciative of any ideas/suggestions you have. And connections to publishers when the time comes would be a huge gift!

I’ve just been getting my official author website and blog put together the last few weeks. Anyone want to give me some feedback on how it looks so far? (You can also read some of my short stories there!) I’m considering getting the basic paid subscription to WordPress so I can fancy it up even more; it’s only $3 a month, which seems pretty affordable. If anyone has experience with WordPress and wants to offer insight on that side of things, you’re welcome to. =)

Here’s my site: https://jenniferhilty.wordpress.com/

“Don’t believe every worried thought you have. Worried thoughts are notoriously inaccurate.” – Renee Jain

@riverfox237, welcome! I read your short story “Quarters.” Love the ending! That’s a fun little story. And the fact that your chinchilla is named Pikachewbacca tickles me. Nice to “meet” you!

I think the site looks good. I just got my site going on WordPress, too, so still learning the ropes. I personally would not be inclined to pay for an upgrade to the site unless it adds functionality you need. If your goal is to create exposure and build a following, I’d say money is better spent on facebook ads or something of that nature to increase views/clicks outside your circle. Do you have an author Page on facebook? My hubby got me set up with a couple test ads that drive people to my Page, and the Page is set up to drive people to the site (daily links to content, instagram photos with the website link, etc.) Now a bunch of people I don’t know are following me, and I gotta say, it feels a little weird.

Hi! I’m Dana. I have a degree in poetry, but I’ve been exploring the essay on my blog lately.

I focus a lot on exploration, doing the hard and uncomfortable thing, and finding beauty in the ordinary.

That and trying to grow my photography skills. 😉

My life right now doesn’t leave lots of room for writing, but I’m trying to do what I can.

Thanks for the place to introduce myself!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

@dananicole Your site is beautiful! I understand how it feels to be a mom of littles with less time than you’d like to pursue writing and such. There are writers who will tell you that you’re not legit if you don’t sit down and write something every day. Don’t believe them.

Thanks for saying hello!

@helena Thank you! I try to walk the line between realizing I simply cannot write every and feeling horribly guilty that I’m not writing every day. Trying to keep the slow but steady pace going!

Profile photo of Josh Bishop
    Josh Bishop
    Hutchmate
    @joshbishop

Hi all — My big project right now is wrapping up my first novel. It’s a YA adventure story about a boy who discovers that sheep have been disappearing from the sheepfold outside of town, begins to suspect that there are beasts living in the nearby woods, and sets off to discover the truth of the matter. It’s called Benjamin Weatherby’s Practical Bestiary, and I self-published it online to give to my son for Christmas. A handful of early review copies are floating around now, and I’ve gathered feedback for my next revision; I plan to begin searching for a publisher this summer. Wish me luck!

Profile photo of Laure Hittle
    Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@joshbishop, that sounds like a fun story! i love the title!

Profile photo of Eric Heiden
    Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@mrs-hittle Hi there! I’m new here, so I really appreciate this thread!

I’m currently working on two short stories (a piece of crime fiction and a horror story) that I’ll upload to my blog (which I haven’t launched yet) so that they can be read for free. After that, I plan on alternating between writing free stories that I’ll upload to my blog and writing stories I’ll submit to magazines and book publishers, the former to build a following, the latter to, well, maybe be able to make a full-time career as a writer.

The crime story is about a man racing against the clock to outwit an incarcerated criminal and find a group of missing children. As for the other story, I wanted to channel my lifelong fear of heights into a piece of horror fiction, so I wrote a tale where a newly engaged couple fight for their lives against an otherworldly entity while trapped at the edge of a cliff.

Profile photo of Eric Heiden
    Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@joshbishop I’ll wish you luck, but I won’t stop there, I’ll keep you and the book in my prayers! Will you announce any developments on the site?

Profile photo of Josh Bishop
    Josh Bishop
    Hutchmate
    @joshbishop

@ericheiden Thanks! And yes, I’ll keep all y’all in the loop!

Profile photo of scott james
    scott james
    Hutchmate
    @scottjames

@ericheiden Thanks! And yes, I’ll keep all y’all in the loop!

Yes, please do, @joshbishop. I remember the website you posted just before Christmas—it looked really good. I hope this project finds a wider audience (me included).

In view of keeping each other up to date and unashamedly soliciting prayers/encouragement, would you all please pray for me as I finish up work on an Advent/Christmas-themed illustrated children’s book that is due out later this year? I’m in the fun and anxiety-inducing stages of final proofing and last-minute illustration tweaks. The book is about waiting and watching, which fits well with my frame of mind as I wait and watch for it to be done!

Also, with Easter approaching, it’s time for me to invest a little time into one of my earlier works—a book of family devotionals for Passion Week and Holy Week. Please pray that it would be a helpful resource in any homes it finds its way into.

Thanks!

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.