Writers: Introductions

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Writers: Introductions

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Author
  • Hi @jphiliphorne. Your adult thriller sounds interesting! Keep us posted on your progress. I like that you have a draft cover. That’s a good idea. That would help me keep inspired in the midst of the slog, too. To remind me that all this work actually has an end goal. Seeing an “actual” book would help me in that.

And thanks to @ericheiden for your encouragement, and commenting on my blog. It’s a good reminder to me to do more of that myself. All of us holding each other up in our various projects is what this whole community is supposed to be about, right? So I will try to visit each of your blogs, websites, etc over the next few weeks to spread the love.

Profile photo of Eric Heiden
    Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@jphiliphorne I’d say I’d agree with that Stephen King advice. I read something similar in August Derleth’s book, Writing Fiction, where he repeatedly stresses the importance of verisimilitude, even when writing fantasy.

The cover and synopsis are a great idea. Once I get the preliminary stuff out of the way, I do something similar. I ask myself the ten questions from Michael Hauge’s Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds and then create a synopsis and fake pitch based on that.

Are you on Twitter? If so, what’s your handle. If not, will you post here in the forums once Rescue Nurse is finished and available?

Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@lisa My pleasure. Thank YOU for commenting on MY blog. That meant a lot.

Hi @jphiliphorne. Your adult thriller sounds interesting! Keep us posted on your progress. I like that you have a draft cover. That’s a good idea. That would help me keep inspired in the midst of the slog, too. To remind me that all this work actually has an end goal. Seeing an “actual” book would help me in that.

That’s right, @lisa. I’m always trying to learn to be a planner, but outlines are still the death of my creative process (in spite of the fact that I love outlines in other contexts, such as meeting notes… wait, maybe there’s a connection). So a synopsis and draft cover is generally my starting point. Add in some characters and a situation. If I can come up with that “dark moment” toward the end then I’m set.

I read something similar in August Derleth’s book, Writing Fiction, where he repeatedly stresses the importance of verisimilitude, even when writing fantasy.

Yes. I love the Harry Potter books (currently in book 7 of the audiobook), but I have two big beefs with them tied to this very thing. First, I have trouble suspending my disbelief that Dumbledore is a great headmaster given the level of abuse heaped on students by teachers. In this category, I also find it impossible to believe Harry named a child after Snape given how vile and abusive he was as a teacher. I get that Snape was complex and a hero at one level, but he was also utterly hateful and the  heroic actions don’t make that disappear… yet they do disappear. There’s no story arc connecting vile behavior with forgiveness, or at least not enough for me.

Second, the system of magic is bizarre and doesn’t stand up well to scrutiny, IMO.

Okay, the third and final beef. Muggles are portrayed as nearly helpless. This is one of the big issues I was trying to present VERY differently in my Guild of Sevens series. Someone would have shot Voldemort in the head from 500 yards if he was truly a threat to the state.

My twitter handle… actually, all my handles are @jphiliphorne.

Profile photo of Laure Hittle
    Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

i’m with Stephen King on telling the truth, too. I’ve also heard it said that one should write what they can make real. I think that’s generally taken to mean, write settings or occupations you’re familiar with. Research the heck out of anything you write if you haven’t lived it yourself. In my writing this takes a weird turn: i cannot for the life of me write realistic fiction that feels realistic. If i try, it comes out stilted and lifeless or it turns into magical realism. What i can make real is fantasy. 😛

I think that’s generally taken to mean, write settings or occupations you’re familiar with. … In my writing this takes a weird turn: i cannot for the life of me write realistic fiction that feels realistic. If i try, it comes out stilted and lifeless or it turns into magical realism. What i can make real is fantasy.  

That’s right where I’ve landed for my three books thus far. I’ve no idea if I’ll ever finish the thriller (though I hope to), and it is taking far more work for the very reason of realism. I sent out a preview (maybe 10k words) to my email list a few months ago. It was very well received, which made me think I was on to something, but then I got quite a bit of feedback from numerous nurses. Thankfully I’d gotten close enough that it caused them to engage rather than hit delete.

Profile photo of Kari Lynn West
    Kari Lynn West
    Hutchmate
    @karilynnwest

Hi Everyone! My name is Kari, and I’ve been writing in my spare time for several years now. I’m just about to publish my first YA fantasy novel, The Secrets of Islayne. I live in North Carolina with my husband and two young daughters.

If there’s one thing I’d really like to change about my writing life going forward, it would be to gain more of a community of fellow writers, especially with those of the same faith. I think it’s so easy to become isolated as writers, and I am trying to get better at fighting that tendency :).  If anyone is interested, I’d would love to exchange some writing samples to see if we enjoy each others work and want to collaborate more in the future – beta reading, editing, maybe even some cross-promotional stuff down the road, and you know, just to gain more friends for the long and often arduous writing journey.

I’m so excited to have found this website, and feel free to friend or PM me if you’re interested in any of the above 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

It was very well received, which made me think I was on to something, but then I got quite a bit of feedback from numerous nurses. Thankfully I’d gotten close enough that it caused them to engage rather than hit delete.

Yeah, research can be daunting. I uploaded a horror story to my website about some rock climbers who face off against a ghost. Problem? I don’t climb. So, with a completely blank slate, I had to learn everything I could about the sport. It took me down a lot of time-consuming rabbit trails. I was happy with the end result, but it just about killed me.

Profile photo of Laure Hittle
    Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Research is one of the funnest things about writing. It’s also an excellent stalling technique. #winwin

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.