Writers: Introductions

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Writers: Introductions

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 141 total)
  • Author
  • Hi @jphiliphorne. Your adult thriller sounds interesting! Keep us posted on your progress. I like that you have a draft cover. That’s a good idea. That would help me keep inspired in the midst of the slog, too. To remind me that all this work actually has an end goal. Seeing an “actual” book would help me in that.

And thanks to @ericheiden for your encouragement, and commenting on my blog. It’s a good reminder to me to do more of that myself. All of us holding each other up in our various projects is what this whole community is supposed to be about, right? So I will try to visit each of your blogs, websites, etc over the next few weeks to spread the love.

Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@jphiliphorne I’d say I’d agree with that Stephen King advice. I read something similar in August Derleth’s book, Writing Fiction, where he repeatedly stresses the importance of verisimilitude, even when writing fantasy.

The cover and synopsis are a great idea. Once I get the preliminary stuff out of the way, I do something similar. I ask myself the ten questions from Michael Hauge’s Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds and then create a synopsis and fake pitch based on that.

Are you on Twitter? If so, what’s your handle. If not, will you post here in the forums once Rescue Nurse is finished and available?

Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@lisa My pleasure. Thank YOU for commenting on MY blog. That meant a lot.

Hi @jphiliphorne. Your adult thriller sounds interesting! Keep us posted on your progress. I like that you have a draft cover. That’s a good idea. That would help me keep inspired in the midst of the slog, too. To remind me that all this work actually has an end goal. Seeing an “actual” book would help me in that.

That’s right, @lisa. I’m always trying to learn to be a planner, but outlines are still the death of my creative process (in spite of the fact that I love outlines in other contexts, such as meeting notes… wait, maybe there’s a connection). So a synopsis and draft cover is generally my starting point. Add in some characters and a situation. If I can come up with that “dark moment” toward the end then I’m set.

I read something similar in August Derleth’s book, Writing Fiction, where he repeatedly stresses the importance of verisimilitude, even when writing fantasy.

Yes. I love the Harry Potter books (currently in book 7 of the audiobook), but I have two big beefs with them tied to this very thing. First, I have trouble suspending my disbelief that Dumbledore is a great headmaster given the level of abuse heaped on students by teachers. In this category, I also find it impossible to believe Harry named a child after Snape given how vile and abusive he was as a teacher. I get that Snape was complex and a hero at one level, but he was also utterly hateful and the  heroic actions don’t make that disappear… yet they do disappear. There’s no story arc connecting vile behavior with forgiveness, or at least not enough for me.

Second, the system of magic is bizarre and doesn’t stand up well to scrutiny, IMO.

Okay, the third and final beef. Muggles are portrayed as nearly helpless. This is one of the big issues I was trying to present VERY differently in my Guild of Sevens series. Someone would have shot Voldemort in the head from 500 yards if he was truly a threat to the state.

My twitter handle… actually, all my handles are @jphiliphorne.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

i’m with Stephen King on telling the truth, too. I’ve also heard it said that one should write what they can make real. I think that’s generally taken to mean, write settings or occupations you’re familiar with. Research the heck out of anything you write if you haven’t lived it yourself. In my writing this takes a weird turn: i cannot for the life of me write realistic fiction that feels realistic. If i try, it comes out stilted and lifeless or it turns into magical realism. What i can make real is fantasy. 😛

I think that’s generally taken to mean, write settings or occupations you’re familiar with. … In my writing this takes a weird turn: i cannot for the life of me write realistic fiction that feels realistic. If i try, it comes out stilted and lifeless or it turns into magical realism. What i can make real is fantasy.  

That’s right where I’ve landed for my three books thus far. I’ve no idea if I’ll ever finish the thriller (though I hope to), and it is taking far more work for the very reason of realism. I sent out a preview (maybe 10k words) to my email list a few months ago. It was very well received, which made me think I was on to something, but then I got quite a bit of feedback from numerous nurses. Thankfully I’d gotten close enough that it caused them to engage rather than hit delete.

Kari Lynn West
    Hutchmate
    @karilynnwest

Hi Everyone! My name is Kari, and I’ve been writing in my spare time for several years now. I’m just about to publish my first YA fantasy novel, The Secrets of Islayne. I live in North Carolina with my husband and two young daughters.

If there’s one thing I’d really like to change about my writing life going forward, it would be to gain more of a community of fellow writers, especially with those of the same faith. I think it’s so easy to become isolated as writers, and I am trying to get better at fighting that tendency :).  If anyone is interested, I’d would love to exchange some writing samples to see if we enjoy each others work and want to collaborate more in the future – beta reading, editing, maybe even some cross-promotional stuff down the road, and you know, just to gain more friends for the long and often arduous writing journey.

I’m so excited to have found this website, and feel free to friend or PM me if you’re interested in any of the above 🙂

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.

Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

It was very well received, which made me think I was on to something, but then I got quite a bit of feedback from numerous nurses. Thankfully I’d gotten close enough that it caused them to engage rather than hit delete.

Yeah, research can be daunting. I uploaded a horror story to my website about some rock climbers who face off against a ghost. Problem? I don’t climb. So, with a completely blank slate, I had to learn everything I could about the sport. It took me down a lot of time-consuming rabbit trails. I was happy with the end result, but it just about killed me.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Research is one of the funnest things about writing. It’s also an excellent stalling technique. #winwin

Hi all 🙂 I’m Maggie, a baby writer (age 19. Okay, I’ve been writing for like ten years, but I just this summer made my first real book and got semi-serious about my blog, and I feel very young and small among all you more experienced writers). Just about a week ago I self-published my first book, Slakewhich is a collection of my poems from the last three years. It’s organized as a journey, starting with our broken world, leading into redemption, wrestling with how we can deal with brokenness even as Christians, and ending with the need for faith.

Anyway, my biggest hope going forward was to find other authors like me (which I found right here!) who are farther along in the publishing process than I am (also right here!) and know more about things like building a following/finding readers/spreading the Gospel through their art than I do (looks like I hit the jackpot). For those of you whose work could both appeal to Christians and possibly reach out to non-Christians, how do you recommend I advertise (I really hate that word) mine?

1 user thanked author for this post.

I am working on a novel titled <i>The Bond </i>about two brothers whose sister gets kidnapped by and evil sorcerer and they go save her. I’m on the second draft and am by no means close to having a finished work. If anyone is interested in reading what I have so far, I would love to share it.

I hope to have this be the first book of a series, but that is farther in the future and I am trying to make it able to stand alone as well.

I’ve written a bunch of film and TV scripts, am currently developing an audio drama and an online graphic novel, and would like to take a crack at a novel next.

I’m especially interested right now in the possibilities publishing things serially online… anyone with experience in this area?

@thedyingcelt, i haven’t ever tried serial storytelling, but i have thought about it. Anybody with this experience, you now have two interested rabbits!

Hi all, I’m Gillian! I’ve followed the Rabbit Room posts for a while but only just made it over to the forums, so I’m looking forward to connecting with fellow writers here! I write epic fantasy with three books published so far and a fourth coming in June. The main series I have out right now is called the Songkeeper Chronicles and is about a place where music is magic and a girl discovers that the song that she can hear and sing is actually the song that created the world. I love to write stories about broken characters – the forgotten, the wounded, the outcasts – who get drawn into adventures and battles much bigger than they are, because those are the type of books I love to read.

Looking forward to chatting about writings and stories with you all!

Attachments:

Hello!

I’m trying to get better at poetry and looking for some people to give feedback. Hopefully it will end up as — unsure what to call it — meditative poetry? The RR seemed like a great place to look for support. If you’re available and have a minute, please drop me a message in my inbox! (Hopefully this is the right thread to ask, if not, any mod who wishes please feel free to re-direct the post.)

– Kath

@kathyw, welcome! We do have a poets’ subforum. You can find that here: http://rabbitroom.com/groups/poets-corner/

Scully
    Hutchmate
    @newcreature

It took me down a lot of time-consuming rabbit trails.

@ericheiden, Well, we act according to what we are, eh?

Rabbits, makin’ trails~

(\__/)
    (=’w’=)
    (“)_(“)

(Considering that no one else had jumped on that pun yet, I just had to!)

At everyone –
    And talk about “time-consuming”! I’ve spent the past 5+ years studying all sorts of stuff — from plate tectonics, to physics and chemistry, to the effect of language on the perception/mindsets of a culture, to the evolution of technology, to politics, war, philosophy, and beyond! (Not to mention that I’ll be using my degree in psychology, as well as everything I’ve learned from Jesus.)

And why? All to create an intricate fantasy planet: with a world map, and a history (from creation to what would be future for us).

While I follow a biblical timeline, I changed some things: there are elements, plants, and creatures in that world that we don’t have. Also, in that world, metals never really came together to form ores — and the few that DID, were mined long ago (and thus are as rare as metal from meteorites). Thus, there was no bronze age, no iron age, and no currency based in metals … and do you realize how much of our world relies on these metals?!? Finally, my world has a magic/power-system that affects EVERYTHING in the world, from chemistry, to cooking, to simply day-to-day interactions (both with humans, and animals), and beyond.

Sooooo … yeah. A LOT of study to create a really rich world to write in.

Y’know, kinda like what Tolkein did.

I’m doing this as in investment into my future, because I’m gonna write all sorts of stories in this world. Plus, I wanna use it for things like TTRPGs, as well as other games, books, graphic novels, animated TV/Streaming series, and maybe films.

Currently, I have multiple stories in mind for this world. And while I’m working on any one story, resources for other stories are being gathered.

The first story I’m working on is a light novel series set in what would be our 15~1700’s (haven’t totally decided yet), which follows a “werewolf” (not really, but close enough) being led of the Holy Spirit to bring people together “to imitate me as I imitate [Christ]”, all while a war is brewing — a war that will drastically change the cultural/political/technological landscape of the world.

The main plot is this: the main character following this man to become like him (and thus like Christ), while the man is traveling around and building a “family”, who the main character will eventually become the “pastor/father” of — and all the struggles that come with building and raising a large “Church family” …

In other words: image the apostle Paul in a fantasy world, being an apostle (i.e. finding and raising a church family, as well as raising and appointing “elders” to take over in his place), in the midst of a war the scale of which is like the formation of Rome, mixed with the formation of the USA, mixed with both WW1 and WW2.

In other words: the beginning of the Church, mixed with The Lord of the Rings, mixed with A Song of Ice and Fire, but with the flavor of anime/manga like Full Metal Alchemist, RE:Zero…, and The Boy and Beast, told through the eyes of one of the people “Paul” raises up to be a church leader, who eventually plants one of the first colleges this world has seen.

Sooooo … yeah.

That’s what I’m working on right now. And that’s just one of the stories! 😀 And it’s not even the one I’m looking forward to writing the most, lol. I’m wanting to get more experience/skill before I write the High Fantasy genre series that (to me) is the most important story I’ll write in this life.

If you can’t already tell that I’m excited … well, I’m excited!! 😀 God’s been healing me, finally setting me free to dream big and pursue with him the dreams he’s set in my heart. His will be done! His kingdom come!

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.