Marketing an Indie Book

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Marketing an Indie Book

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

A few of the people I’ve been blessed enough to meet on this site seem to be going the INDIE route when it comes to publishing, and that reminded me of an article I found a while back on ways to market a self-published or small press book. I’m posting a link to it here for anyone who’s interested. At the very least, I hope it gives you all some food for thought.

http://www.speculativefaith.com/how-indie-novels-can-beat-4-dollar-coffee-and-chase-joy/

Thanks, Eric!  I hadn’t seen that article before despite my best efforts to keep up with things over at SpeculativeFaith.

Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@treskillard Yeah. I go there regularly too, and, like you, I miss stuff sometimes. That’s part of why I wanted to share this. I think it might be one of the best articles on that site. Even if someone doesn’t want to go the indie route (other than the stories I put on my website, I’m honestly not sure I want to self-publish), I think an aspiring author could learn a lot from reading it.

My first three novels are traditionally published, but I’m planning on going indie on my next three.  We’ll see after that.  I’m just in a different stage of life right now and I can’t commit to a rigid publishing schedule. Thanks again!

Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@treskillard Well, in that case, I’m all the happier that I shared it.

This is such a good article! I actually JUST self-published my first book and have been struggling a little bit (okay, a lot) with marketing it. I appreciate the Christian take on marketing–the I’m-pursuing-joy-with-you take rather than the give-me-your-money take.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@maggie Hi Margaret. Glad you liked the article. If you try any of its advice with SLAKE, feel free to check back in and let the rest of us know how it worked.

Eric Heiden
    Hutchmate
    @ericheiden

@maggie Hi again Margaret. After my last post on this thread, I did some thinking and decided to share this here too.

This link is for all the marketing and advertising resources on my goodreads shelves. Given that you’re a student, I don’t know how much money you have available to spend on these, but maybe you can find them at a local library (or maybe your library can borrow it from another library):

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/8796461?shelf=advertising-and-marketing

Another question–what price should I be asking for my book? My aunt who’s done a lot with other writers says the price should be $15-20 because I’m dealing with a huge theme and the higher price implies that I’m selling art. I’ve found very few poetry books that sold for more than $12, however, and since many of the people I know are my age and in my (poor college student) situation, I feel I can’t ask more than $13. That’s how it’s listed right now, but even that seems high…if any of you have more experience with this, what would you ask?

Also, I have a Kindle version, but I kind of hate Kindle for poetry especially because I format mine in crazy/specific ways that get totally moved around and messed up on Kindle (especially the mobile version). It works decently well on a larger screen, but I would still definitely recommend the print version…I do want my poetry available for a lower price than the print, though, and it’s nice to have it online…so is the Kindle version even worth having, do you think?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.