Summer reading

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Summer reading

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author
  • Sandy
    Hutchmate
    @sjohnson

@chrisyokel

I read Gilead in a single day.  I was completely and utterly captivated.  I even loved the ending (which I won’t spoil!)

I was so excited about this book that I went out and grabbed the sequels from the library as well.  Unfortunately, I just couldn’t get into the second one and didn’t even try the third out of disappointment.

If you go for the sequels, let me know if I should try again!

Sandy
    Hutchmate
    @sjohnson

<span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>mrs-hittle

Did you look up the alternate ending for the Martian online?  It’s got a bit of profanity in it, but I laughed out loud when I read it.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@sjohnson, No, i didn’t realize there was an alternate ending! i will have to go look it up.

@mrs-hittle, good to know! The film version of The Martian was so much fun that I’m hoping the same for the book. 🙂 I don’t think I realized it started as blogfiction… That’s fun!

I’ve been reading Orthodoxy for a while. such a skinny book, yet slow going–you don’t like to rush these things, you know? Also just started on Eric Metaxas’ Boenhoeffer bio. Happened upon a copy at Half Price books on extra-sale day, and it seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up.

I discovered “The Private Devotions of Lancelot Andrewes” several months ago — and love it, but I knew nothing about the man who wrote it. So I found a biography of Lancelot Andrewes, which I’ve been struggling through. I found that my knowledge of 16th and 17th century England was so weak that I needed to learn more about that time period, so I started a biography of Elizabeth I.

So basically, my summer reading is “Elizabeth I and Her Circle” by Susan Doran, so that I can understand “Lancelot Andrewes” by Florence Higham, so that I can understand “The Private Devotions of Lancelot Andrewes.”

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

A rabbit trail! i love that!

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

I’m on The Ale Boy’s Feast from Jeffrey Overstreet’s Auralia novels. After that, I have no idea. My unread book stack is large and eclectic.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@firstcrusader, i was hoping to read that this summer, too. i read Raven’s Ladder during the semester, but didn’t make it all the way into The Ale Boy’s Feast yet.

I am simultaneously reading any N.D. Wilson books I can’t get my hands on, (I started with his newest book and finished 100 Cupboards last night :O and just started book the first of A Series of Unfortunate Events.

@wonderseeker, three cheers for ND Wilson! I’ve been recommending 100 Cupboards to people a lot lately. So great. Really thankful for his gift of putting words together to form fantastic new worlds, or to help you see this actual world in new ways.

Jessica P
    Hutchmate
    @pickandgrin

@misslinda
    Brideshead Revisited was my favorite new read of 2015. His short sentences are masterful; he had me on the first page.

Summer 2016:
    Just finished The Keeper of the Bees (Stratton-Porter) and am working through Kristin Lavransdatter, 1. The Wreath (Undset) along with Louis Markos’ From Achilles to Christ. 

I don’t remember who mentioned Orthodoxy but I wanted to chime in that I love listening to that book over and over on Overdrive. I’m not sure I would have ever finished the book itself but the pace of the reader helped me keep moving through. I hope to keep it in my yearly listening rotation.

Does anyone have an opinion about (or even heard of) The Evenmere Trilogy, by James Stoddard? Thinking about getting for summer. It just got quite the write up in First Things.

Kristen Kopp
    Hutchmate
    @kristenkopp

I’m currently reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. After polling my friends on Facebook, I’ve added Code Name Verity, The Nightingale, and Boys in the Boat to my summer reading list. (Thanks @emmaj, @carrieg, and @leah for those recommendations!)

Kristen, I read Code Name Verity a couple of years ago and loved it. Haven’t read the second one yet. Finished Rules of Civility this spring. I like your style. 🙂

Kate Willis
    Hutchmate
    @katewillis

So far I’ve started into the Time Quintet by Madeleine L’Engle and finished the first book of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Really great stuff.

John Barber
    Hutchmaster
    @barberjo

I’m at the beach for a week, and of course I went with the beachiest book possible – A Tale of Two Cities. 

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@barberjo, LOL. i love that book, though.

So I am a bit weary about picking up new books. I mean, on the one hand I am so excited and I look forward of falling in love with more characters, yet on the other I am scared. Scared that what I find will be messy, unclean, and a bit scandalous. SO today I went out on a limb a little. I bought two books at a garage sale by the author Gregory Maguire.

My first instinct is to ask for you all to give your opinion on it, if you have read it. Warnings. Congratulations on an excellent find. But I shall take a leap of faith, and will not ask, but will instead read it beginners eyes and with no biases.

Here I go, wish me luck…or prayers.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@wonderseeker, how brave! i’m that way with music. Let us know what you think of those books. i’m not familiar with that author.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.