The Art of Baseball

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› The Art of Baseball

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
  • Okay, I gave this topic kind of a gourmet name, but really this thread is just an excuse for Rabbit Room baseball lovers to geek out about all baseball-related things. Whether they seem artistic or not.

Play ball.

Kelly Keller
    Hutchmate
    @kellykeller

Timely, David! Because this time next week I’ll be in my seat at Fenway. First time with the whole family. I can’t wait!

Fenway is still such a uniquely magical place to take in a game.

Carey Pace
    Hutchmate
    @careypace

All I can say is that I love watching my kid play baseball, and baseball is absolutely my favorite sport to photograph.  My heart cries when I see a kid catch the ball and the dust billows into the air for that brief moment, illuminated from behind in that low, golden light and I don’t have my camera with me to try to capture it.  There’s magic in baseball.

It is a photogenic game.

@kellykeller Kellers in Boston!

I hardly qualify as a baseball geek (casual appreciator maybe?), but I seriously enjoy the experience of going to a game now and then. Fenway would be a super fun thing.

Rich Tuttle
    Hutchmate
    @richtuttle

I’ll just leave this here…

ws-trophy

Attachments:

Kelly Keller
    Hutchmate
    @kellykeller

@jroseyokel You and Chris should do the tour sometime. The Red Sox and the park are both so old, it’ll appeal to your appreciation of history, for sure.

And then, yes, take in a game. This trip is so fast this year, it wasn’t the year — but sometime we should all meet up there. Rabbits at Fenway! So much fun.

@richtuttle

I’ve been waiting since 1984

To see that trophy back in Baltimore.

Rich Tuttle
    Hutchmate
    @richtuttle

@dmitchel

Baltimore looks good this year (from what I’ve seen…which was a rather depressing sweep of the Royals). And speaking as one who has had to wait since the mid-80’s, I can completely relate.

@richtuttle The Birds’ offense and bullpen look good; starting rotation, not so much. It’s a fun team to watch, but an incomplete team. Unless they can add at least one more good starter I think the rotation will be their downfall come autumn.

Hoping we can squeak out another one this year! I’m also a KC fan. Do you live in KC yourself?

Web designer, web developer, writer.

Rich Tuttle
    Hutchmate
    @richtuttle

Hoping we can squeak out another one this year! I’m also a KC fan. Do you live in KC yourself?

@admin – I want to high five you right now.

Yes I do live in KC.

Are you in KC? because if so we should go to a game!

If not…how’d you come to be a Royals fan?

Yeah, I do live in KC, too! We live around 59th and Prospect. I’m actually a fairly recent Royals fan (2014), never followed baseball before, but when I moved here to get married, I picked up the Royals and have followed them since.

Web designer, web developer, writer.

My daughter started working this summer for the Baseball Hall of Fame in the gift shop. That was also my first job. Every day people ask her which team she follows, and the other day she said, “I’ve got to come up with a team to tell people.”

“You could say the Red Sox,” I told her. My father is an avid fan.

“No,” she said, wrinkling her nose a little in disgust. “Everybody is a Red Sox or Yankees fan.”

This is mostly true in the Northeast.

“When I worked there,” I told her, “I was convinced that the San Diego Padres did not have a single fan. I don’t think I ever sold anything for the Padres.”

She got very excited. “I LOVE the Padres logo!” she said.

“An SD?” I asked.

“No, the little monk swinging a bat,” and she pulled up a picture of it on her iPod.

Sure enough, there was a tonsured monk in a robe wearing sandals swinging a bat. I had no idea.

But this is how a dreamy teenage girl who is not a baseball fan chooses her team.

1 user thanked author for this post.

@sallyz I admire the firmness of your daughter’s rejection of the Red Sox/Yankees Axis of Evil. And the reason for her affection for the Padres.

How can I not pass up the opportunity to post this here?

I’m a lover a baseball. Always been a White Sox fan, but pull for the Twins often now that we live in Minnesota – unless they’re playing the Sox, of course.

How did I miss this thread before now? Hello, my people.

Patricia Hunter
    Hutchmate
    @patricia-of-pollywog-creek

Baseball is life, right? I’m a native Floridian – where spring training is a big deal. When I was in high school (very long time ago) the Red Sox’s spring training facility was just a few blocks from the school, and we could skip school if we had tickets for a game.  The TB Rays were not on anyone’s radar back then (they still aren’t on ours), so my parents became big Red Sox fans. I wasn’t in love with baseball yet — except when it meant I could skip school and get a suntan, but then I married a Yankee fan and the rest is history. We flew to NY for a game before they tore down “The House that Ruth Built” and we’ve been back for several games in their new ballpark. We drive up to Tampa to not only see them play the Rays, but for their spring training games. And we live where both the Red Sox  (Fenway South) AND the Twins spring train.

If you haven’t read it, Baseball as Road to God is a great book. I’m listening to the audiobook on my morning commute. The author John Sexton does a great job of bringing both together, and not in a simplistic kind of way. You also get a lot of little inside stories about baseball.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.