The Avid Audiobooker

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› The Avid Audiobooker

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
  • Pete Peterson
    Hutchmaster Prime
    @pete

Funny story — in preparation for my first Hutchmoot, I put Everything That Rises by Flannery O on my iPod — @jonathanrogers, this may explain some of my struggle — not knowing that it was a book of short stories. I listened to the first story, thinking it was a chapter, then the next story, thinking it was the second chapter with a whole new set of characters. I kept thinking, “I’m going to have a hard time keeping these all straight. Plus this is pretty depressing.” But I pressed on. When the third chapter had all new characters and was just as disturbing, I stopped. I finally looked up something about the book to help me understand — and learned that it was short stories.

that’s hilarious

---Hutchmaster Prime, wielder of great and terrible cheeses

@carrieg I also love Guidall I have listened to him do the unabridged Les Miserables maybe four times. And I think I cry everytime. (Which is sometimes a little awkward being a CNC machinist and crying at my machine- because I listen at work)

@bdregge Oh! I need to add that to my list. It’s been 18 years since I read Les Mis, I’m probably due a re-read, and Guidall sounds perfect!

Funny story — in preparation for my first Hutchmoot, I put Everything That Rises by Flannery O on my iPod — @jonathanrogers, this may explain some of my struggle — not knowing that it was a book of short stories. I listened to the first story, thinking it was a chapter, then the next story, thinking it was the second chapter with a whole new set of characters. I kept thinking, “I’m going to have a hard time keeping these all straight. Plus this is pretty depressing.” But I pressed on. When the third chapter had all new characters and was just as disturbing, I stopped. I finally looked up something about the book to help me understand — and learned that it was short stories.

I tend to listen to an entire series altogether so I then struggle to figure out what happens in which book.

@carrieg, I loved R.C. Bray reading The Martian so much I listened to it twice in a row.

I tend to choose book by the book more than the narrator but I started picking up some series because of the narrator like the Destroyer men series by Taylor Anderson, which I got because it was read by William Dufris, who does an amazing Princess of Mars (aka John Carter) better than Scott Brick.

I can’t stand Nadia May personally, but she is the only one I actively avoid.

Jim Dale is one of my favorites. He read Harry Potter, but he also did the Night Circus. I also liked Follett’s historical fiction – Pillars of the Earth and World Without End and the Century Trilogy.

@daen11476 I picked up The Pillars of the Earth after finding the boardgame and learning it was based on a book. I’ve not yet tried the game but I enjoyed the book, although it seemed a little graphic for me sometimes. I enjoyed the humility of the author in his foreword though.

A surprisingly hard to find but treasure in my eyes is John Cleese’s narration of Screwtape Letters, it is in my top three narrator to book combinations.

Jilly
    Hutchmate
    @jilliancomrie

Awesome!! @bdregge  I ADORED the Skin Map series, by Lawhead–some of his best writing and a great narrator!!! Beware of trying to listen to other books narrated by Simon Bubb, though…I tried listening to Ghost Boy and, while definitely a story worth telling, it was extremely graphic and disturbing!

@schebOrk I agree that the Wingfeather saga was truly excellent writing and narrating and everyone needs to go buy it right now!!!

@sallyz I LOVED Everything That Rises Must Converge, from Flannery O’Connor!! Different narrators for each short story really gave each one a personality and unique voice!!

I just finished Outlaws of Time: The Legend of Sam Miracle, by N.D. Wilson and thought it was great fun!

The Book of the Dun Cow, by Walter Wangerin, is a MUST, as I’m sure you all know. 😉

Day Boy and the Night Girl, by George MacDonald, is a short, but extremely enjoyable listen. The Martyr’s Song, by Ted Dekker, is also short, but worth-while!

A Light in the Wilderness, by Jane Kirkpatrick, has a wonderful narrator and had some great insights into human nature!

Nadia May’s narration of Till We Have Faces, by C.S. Lewis, was fantastic!

Tea with Hezbollah, by Ted Dekker and Carl Medearis, was awesome and thought-provoking!!

The Everlasting Man, by G.K. Chesterton, is also a fun listen and not too expensive!

Jennifer Bast
    Hutchmate
    @jbfullyalive

My husband and I love the Harry Potter books read by Jim Dale. We also enjoy the Radio Theatre productions of the Narnia books. Our next listening project as a couple is The Wingfeather Books which I’ve listened to and read, but it will be his first foray.

I just finished listening to the third book in N.D. Wilson’s Ashtown Burials series, skillfully narrated by Thomas Vincent Kelly. I’ll have to look up what else he’s done.

@carrieg , I’ll have to look up your recommendations from Neil Gaiman. I grabbed ‘Fortunately, The Milk’ on a whim at the library one day and Jason and I got such a kick out it. It’s a short, fun one.

The woman who narrates Hannah Coulter has a soothing southern drawl that suits the book well.

I enjoyed ‘Coal Miner’s Daughter’ read by Sissy Spacek speaking in her Loretta voice like she did for the movie. I’m sure she’s a wonderful narrator for ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ @trestapayne.
    It was nice to hear Ashley Cleveland read her memoir, ‘Little Black Sheep’. The prize for getting the most laughs out of me goes to Tina Fey’s ‘Bossypants’.

Jennifer Bast
    Hutchmate
    @jbfullyalive

We have a great library system in Cincinnati. I’ve been very happy with the selection they offer with Overdrive and Hoopla apps.

If you ever buy ebooks, or even get free kindle downloads, you can often add the audible book for cheap. I got Russ Ramsey’s “Behold the Lamb of God” book for free or really cheap and could add the audible book for $2 or $3. I found my way to a link on Amazon where I was able to see what it would cost to add the audio for other books I’ve downloaded and there were so many I could get for cheap. You can download some of the classics for free and then add the audio. For example, download Charles Dickens’s “Great Expectations” ebook for free and you can add audible narration for 99 cents. The same audiobook is $15.95 or a credit for members.

After much deliberation and consideration I think I have come up with my top ten audiobooks that I listened to in 2016, the order may change day to day, however.

I would love to hear yours!

10. The Easy Way to Quit Smoking.
    By Allen Carr, nar. By Duncan Wells
    9. FREE
    By Chris Anderson, nar. By the author
    8. Boys in the Boat
    By Daniel James Brown, nar. By Edward Herman
    7. Redshirts
    By John Scalzi, nar. By Wil Wheaton
    6. Les Miserables
    By Victor Hugo, trans. By Julie Rose, nar. By George Guidall
    5. The Martian
    By Andy Weir, nar. By R. C. Bray
    4. The Dispatcher
    By John Scalzi, nar. By Zachary Quinto
    3. Master of Formalities
    By Scott Meyer, nar. By Luke Daniels
    2. A Man on the Moon
    By Andrew Chaikin, nar. By Bronson Pinchot
    And my number one book is…

1. Quarter Share
    By Nathan Lowell, nar. Jeffrey Kafer

The Great Divorce narrated by Julian Rhind-Tutt

66 Love Letters narrated by Larry Crabb and Jim Cress

Living in Christ’s Presence by Dallas Willard and John Ortberg (this is actually audio from Willard’s last conference before he died and was later turned into a book by the same title). I have now listened to it perhaps a dozen times.

Love Up
    Love Down
    Love In
    Love Out

I was really excited that I had an opportunity to go to Hutchmoot this weekend. I had the extraordinary gift of listening to Nate Wilson talk about World building- has anyone had the chance to listen to any of his books on audio? I’m curious if the narrator is any good.

Side note: Jonathan Rogers Wilderking Trilogy read by him is AMAZING!

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.