The Books By Your Bed

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› The Books By Your Bed

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Kara
    Hutchmate
    @karajanechase

You’ve heard of BYOB, (ok, maybe not) but I’ll wager you’ve never heard of BBYB! The Books By Your Bed. This is the forum where you tell all. What are the titles lingering in that privileged place? How many inches tall is your beloved stack? Better yet, how many stacks are stacked there? Which book has been there longest, waiting patiently for you to read? Which book is the book that will never leave for its dearness is too dear to part with? I will confess here that I do not possess a great many titles, nor are the titles I possess considered great by many, but the Books By My Bed are loved, and in the very least, waiting to be read. So here are my titles. What are yours?

Current Read: Fellowship of the Ring by You Know Who. My son beat me to it, but I’m finally reading the trilogy.

Read Once Every Year Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry. This novel is pretty much responsible for why I bother caring for my children the way I do. And for the fact that I now have five children instead of two.

Too Dear to Part With and Has a Glowing Blue Aura Around It: Book of Comfort: An Anthology by Elizabeth Goudge. Maybe, no really, you should own this.

Read Every Few Years and Sometimes Just a Chapter at a Time: Telling the Truth by Frederick Buechner. I dip in and out of this book. It is the only title I have by this author and given to me by John Woodward, yes THE John Woodward, President of the mission organization South Pacific Christian Fellowship. He loves books and Jesus (not in that order, of course) I am currently waiting for a Marilynne Robinson title from him.

Title I Shouldn’t Read Before Bed Because I Will Not Remember a Blessed Thing: It Was Good: Making Music to the Glory of God. I bought this book from the Rabbit Room store hoping it would help train my heart into a posture where I make the Glory of God the goal of my music. It has been tremendously instructive (even for an amateur) full of essays by folks like Sandra McCracken, writing about creativity as a way of life, Drew Holcomb, helping us understand touring, Charlie Peacock, relaying his story, and the Foreman parents. Yes, Jon and Tim Foreman’s parents write an essay on children and music, which is well worth your time if you know any kids.

Another Title I Shouldn’t Read Before Bed Because I Will Not Remember a Blessed Thing: The Life-Giving Parent by Clay and Sally Clarkson. If grace had a fragrance that is what this title (and others by the authors) would smell like. And I feel like they would be great neighbors, too.

Adam Ruffo
    Hutchmate
    @adamruffo

This is perfect, thank you for making this thread. I recently​took a picture of my “stack” near my bed and posted it on Facebook. Underneath I wrote, “Typical…” So yeah, I’m in the right place.

I’ve decided to make the journey too. I’m read LOTR for the first time, (so you are not alone). It even inspired me to include some of what I was reading into a song I was writing at the time, “All we have to decide, Is what​ to do with the time…Into the Blue”

Then you’ve got two books from Brennan Manning, acclaimed Ragamuffin Gospel and the one I hadn’t read yet, and calling out for attention, The furious love of God. I used to have Ruthless Trust in that stack and I think is my favorite so far.

Then you’ve got the The inner voice of love by Henri Nouwen. I love this book and would recommend it to anyone that’s in ministry.

Can I add a BIYB? Books In Your Bag selection? I’ve been reading the Wingfeather saga and have gotten to the third book. I love the​ series and the characters​ and am known as Artham PW in D&D, Skyrim and for my xboX 360 gamer tag.

Thanks 🙂

Kara
    Hutchmate
    @karajanechase

Hey Adam!

I recently came across Nouwen’s name, so now I’m intrigued.

Yes, I love your idea BIYB! Mine would have to be BIYDB- Books in your Diaper Bag, and for that, all I’ve got are titles like The Train to Timbuctoo by Margaret Wise Brown. But you know what C.S. Lewis said, “A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest.”

Much pleasant reading to you!

My stack is usually reserved for current and immediate future reads, so it’s kind of small right now… Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis for my bedtime fiction and How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson because there should always be a poetry book by your bed. 🙂 I’m about to move a pile of Ms. Marvel comics to that stack though (on loan from my sister)

Practice Resurrection (Eugene Peterson) and Culture Making (Andy Crouch) should be in the stack too, but sometimes books wander around the house.

Kara
    Hutchmate
    @karajanechase

A hearty Amen, Jen for always having a book of poetry by your bed.

One of that I love, “The Woman Who Understands” by Everard Jack Appleton

<b>Wait, books have to remain in a neat stack by your bed??</b>

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.