Which Poets Should I Be Reading?

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Which Poets Should I Be Reading?

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
  • Robert Frost, Wendell Berry, and Gerard Manley Hopkins. Also John Greenleaf Whittier. All wonderful!

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

William Blake: Help me out here. i have his complete works and am not sure where to start.

William Blake: Help me out here. i have his complete works and am not sure where to start.

I’ve read so little Blake that I just discovered that “To see a world in a grain of sand” is not a four line poem I had to memorize in high school, but the first four lines of “Auguries of Innocence.” So I just read the whole thing for the first time. I should probably read more Blake.

John Blase hasn’t been mentioned yet. Not sure why.  I love <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>The Jubilee</span>.

I second (or third, or fourth) Mary Oliver.

Eugene Peterson, though not especially known for his poetry, has a poet’s heart. <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Holy Luck</span> is a nice little collection.

I have been slowly working my way through Isaac Watts’ collection: <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Psalms of David: Imitated in the Language of the Old Testament and Applied to the Christian State of Worship</span>.  This is the collection from which we get Joy to the World. The language is old, and in my copy, the S’s and F’s look alike, so I am forced to slow down and pay attention.

Love Up
    Love Down
    Love In
    Love Out

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.