Which Poets Should I Be Reading?

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Which Poets Should I Be Reading?

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
  • Robert Frost, Wendell Berry, and Gerard Manley Hopkins. Also John Greenleaf Whittier. All wonderful!

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

William Blake: Help me out here. i have his complete works and am not sure where to start.

William Blake: Help me out here. i have his complete works and am not sure where to start.

I’ve read so little Blake that I just discovered that “To see a world in a grain of sand” is not a four line poem I had to memorize in high school, but the first four lines of “Auguries of Innocence.” So I just read the whole thing for the first time. I should probably read more Blake.

John Blase hasn’t been mentioned yet. Not sure why.  I love <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>The Jubilee</span>.

I second (or third, or fourth) Mary Oliver.

Eugene Peterson, though not especially known for his poetry, has a poet’s heart. <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Holy Luck</span> is a nice little collection.

I have been slowly working my way through Isaac Watts’ collection: <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Psalms of David: Imitated in the Language of the Old Testament and Applied to the Christian State of Worship</span>.  This is the collection from which we get Joy to the World. The language is old, and in my copy, the S’s and F’s look alike, so I am forced to slow down and pay attention.

Love Up
    Love Down
    Love In
    Love Out

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is one of my favorites. Definitely good for those just learning to read poetry. He writes very close to the earth (concrete images and stories), touches on many Christian themes (he himself was at least nominally a Christian), and most of his poems are no more than a page long. I’m reading one a day right now.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.