Writing prompts

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Writing prompts

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Author
  • Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@micah wins! All hail Micah! Let’s get smelling and writing, everyone! 🙂

Kyra Hinton
    Hutchmate
    @kyra-hinton

@mrs-hittle and @bwinz, thank you ladies!!

Oh interesting @micah! *rubs hands together with excitement*

Now to find a place that smells more interesting…

Kyra Hinton
    Hutchmate
    @kyra-hinton

Let it be known that since Monday I gave gone through my days sniffing and feeling, waiting for something to stick.
    Something finally did.
    This may be considered a weird one, but I will put it up anyway.
    For Better or For Worse

Can’t wait to read what everyone else is cooking up!

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@kyra-hinton, i loved that.

Kyra Hinton
    Hutchmate
    @kyra-hinton

@mrs-hittle Aww, thank you, that means a lot. 🙂

The One True Stickman
    Hutchmate
    @theonetruestickman

There is something about
    The smell of corrosion,
    Aluminum and circuit boards –
    If you close your eyes the cold metal
    Turns to the back room and plant stand
    With loamy, pungent potting soil and tomato seedlings.
    You are still small enough the plants feel like a piece of jungle.
    This jungle is a nest of wires,
    Humming electrons,
    Bright lights,
    Looking into a soldier’s eye
    In the desert
    With a memory
    Of leaf mold inside.

—–/=\—–

OK, so wasn’t spontaneous from my environment, but some of the equipment I work on really does smell like that when you open it up for repairs. I have no idea why.

They call me.... thread killer.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Today’s prompt: Go to Wikipedia, click “Random article,” and start writing.

Here’s what i’ve written based on last week’s prompt—the smelly one. 🙂

After a day in the sun
    and an evening on the couch
    i go to sit on the porch-step at night.
    The air smells faintly of the mint at my right hand.
    It is prolific, as is the way of mint.
    i can use this mint for nothing
    (it tastes like mouthwash),
    but the bees love it,
    and nothing can make me happier
    than happy bees.
    This useless mint rises from death each spring
    and sends forth its runners,
    deepening its roots,
    perfuming the air.
    It reaches toward the sky
    and each spindly stem bears only the leaves most necessary
    to speed its ascent.
    Now it is more than a foot tall
    and so thick we would need a machete
    to remind it that the whole yard is not its domain
    (no matter how adoring the bees).
    i will not cut it down until the first amethyst blossom
    opens is eyes and laughs
    when the feet of the bees tickles its face.
    (i will not cut it then, either. It loves the bees.)

Kyra Hinton
    Hutchmate
    @kyra-hinton

(@mrs-hittle, I absolutely loved your writing prompt idea, and wikipedia surprised me with a sweet article that I have let roll around in my head all week. It won’t be ready by tomorrow, but I wanted you to know your idea was heard and was inspirational! And your poem from last week is absolutely delightful.)

1 user thanked author for this post.

Linda Rogers
    Participant
    @misslinda

Do non-writers get to give prompts? It is Monday and thus time for a new assignment, but I don’t feel entirely qualified to give it because I’m not doing the writing prompts. So feel free to ignore this one and get a better prompt if you want, but I like this idea. I almost used it on a group of homeschooled kids, but I ran out of time.

Go to Joe Sutphin’s website and look in the sketchbook section. Choose a picture there as the inspiration for what you write.

JJ Heller

If you do this, please link or post whatever you write because I want to read it. 🙂

Linda Rogers
    Participant
    @misslinda

I have no idea what just happened there. That is NOT the website I was pointing to. Trying again.

JJ Heller

Linda Rogers
    Participant
    @misslinda

Nope it is doing it again.
    Ok, go to joesutphin(dot)wix(dot)com/joesutphinart
    Or just google it. You will find it.

@misslinda — I got a notification for this in an email and it showed the link to Joe Sutphin’s site. I don’t know why JJ Heller shows up here, or why, when I click on the link here, it brings me to itickets for Lifest 2016. Maybe this should be reported on the bugs thread?

The One True Stickman
    Hutchmate
    @theonetruestickman

Same thing for me… link showed and worked correctly in the email notification. I wonder if it posts wrong if I do it too?

http://joesutphin.wix.com/joesutphinart

They call me.... thread killer.

Linda Rogers
    Participant
    @misslinda

I’ve reported it, but in my post on the bug report thread, it showed up correctly. 😛 I’m glad that the notification showed it correctly so you can get to the right place. Something strange is happening here.

Linda Rogers
    Participant
    @misslinda

@theonetruestickman, clearly it likes you better than me. 🙂

Peter Brunone
    Hutchmate
    @peterbrunone

I wrote something for the very first prompt and didn’t have the last sentence, so I just cheated and threw one in there. Pardon my inevitable tardiness. Also, forgive me for not coming close to the pithy beauty and depth of some others’ submissions.

I didn’t want to be there.

Huddled at the edge of a pop-up canopy well into its apathetic teen years, resigned to soaking my one good pair of leather dress shoes under the so-called raincoat that didn’t even reach my knees, I anchored myself with the knowledge that at least I hadn’t paid anything for this Calvin Klein misnomer. Formal attire is the province of my cousin, who kindly (if smugly) offered me the pick of his outerwear collection. Constrained though he was by the two-bag limit on Qantas Airways, his traveling wardrobe still dwarfed the contents of my own closet back in Omaha.

We had spoken just seven months before at our grandfather’s burial service on the coast of Scotland. For some reason, that whole side of the family seems to have money, and it shows at every occasion – not just in the conversation, but in the very atmosphere of the gathering. Who else would conclude his will with “cremate my remains, fly my descendants to Aberdeenshire, and launch my ashes by catapult from the walls of Dunnottar Castle into the North Sea at sunset”? Sure, everyone gasped at the glittering puff of glory as it caught the light slanting over our shoulders – but the gasps changed timbre when a passing flock of petrels began crashing to the rocks below. Apparently they don’t navigate well in freak dust storms.

Then the wind changed, and we all learned in a moment that glory among us is far more terrifying than glory from afar. Though we fled the whirling cloud, it overtook us in the end.

Granddad truly became a part of us that day.

Continuing the tradition of obscene spending at major life events, we were gathered at the big pavilion on Bedarra Island to watch Cousin Clotheshorse tie the knot. He was a slow learner when it came to shoelaces, which seemed relevant enough to mention at his fourth wedding; this may be why I found myself relegated to the peanut gallery, where even the waitstaff feared to tread lest their hors d’oeuvres meet a swift, undignified, and soggy end.

Next time I’ll skip the ceremony and order room service.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

Wow, @peterbrunone. That is an anecdote that JR would be proud of.

Peter Brunone
    Hutchmate
    @peterbrunone

You are kind, as always, @mrs-hittle . I’m not sure what roots I’ve tapped for this, other than the ability to Google random places and items of clothing.

Laure Hittle
    Hutchmate
    @mrs-hittle

@misslinda, that’s a great prompt! Thank you!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.