Portland Area Mini-Moot?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author
  • There has been enough talk of a possible meetup in the Portland area that I thought it might warrant its own thread. Let’s use this section to get a feel of everyone who’s interested and general ideas for when/where. Once we’ve narrowed it down a bit, we can move to private messaging to keep it secure.

Hoping to see many of you in the not too distant future!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Oh, and just to clarify–this isn’t meant to compete with or replace @rfriend‘s NoPo writer’s group. I think this mini-moot would be more of a one-time deal. Just a chance for all of us Portland area rabbits to meet in person and get to know each other a little more. 🙂

I’m in, and would be willing to help organize it.

There was some mention of it being after the holiday season, which I would prefer.  I have a conference that I’m going to in December, and one that I’m going to in (most likely) late February, so sometime between then or after then would be best for me.

As for location, there are a few things I could suggest. Several Catholic churches I know in the area have ample facilities for this sort of thing, especially Holy Rosary Catholic Church and St. Stephen’s Catholic Church in Portland, OR, or the Protocathedral of St. James the Greater in Vancouver, WA. I don’t know about the parish life of the Protocathedral, but St. Stephen’s and Holy Rosary are both beautiful churches with extremely holy priests and excellent liturgies. If we wanted a bit larger of a venue, we could go with someplace at the University of Portland. The chapel and liturgy aren’t as beautiful, but there’s more space and plenty of dedicated meeting areas. For those who are willing to take a trip down south, there’s also Mt. Angel Abbey, which is a gorgeous and very accomodating abbey that (assuming this gets large enough) we could consider for weekend conferences.

As for guests, Fr. Eric Andersen of St. Stephen’s is probably the leading liturgist of our Archdiocese. I’m sure he would have plenty to say on the topics of beauty and worship, or more or less anything we wanted to talk about at the moot. Fr. Charlie Gordon, C.S.C., is an educator and bibliophile at the University of Portland, and probably one of the best read men I know. He’s an expert on early 19th century authors such as Chesterton and Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson. Any of the Dominicans at Holy Rosary, but especially Fr. Gabriel, would be happy to give philosophical and cultural talks. We have a local radio station, 88.3 KBVM (Mater Dei Radio), and we could contact them both to advertise the event and possibly to get some insight into evangelization through music and availability and such. Lastly, we do have a Christian acting group in town called St. Luke Productions, and we could try and get Leonardo Defilippis to come and talk to us about his craft and his faith. Or host a show? Who knows.

Any of that sound good?

+JMJ+
    +SDG+

Also, I’m playfully going to be against the idea it’s a one-time thing. I challenge us to try and get a yearly shindig going.

+JMJ+
    +SDG+

I would love to meet my fellow local rabbits! I will show up to whatever event we come up with. I think it would be nice just to spend some time together and get to know one another (though I know some of you already do) ahead of a more structured event that others are invited to. Maybe it’s corny, but a potluck sounds fun to me. Eating together is always a good thing. 🙂 I guess we are entering the time of holiday madness, so I’m ok with waiting. I would also be ok with sooner!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Thanks to both of you for your input, @rfriend and @gypsy!

Roy, thanks for all your ideas! I admire your vision for where this could go! And thanks for being against the idea of it being a one-time thing. I hope it is not. 🙂 I must confess that I had something less ambitious in mind, though! And maybe “mini-moot” isn’t even the right word for it. I think that Gypsy and I were thinking somewhat along the same lines–perhaps we could start with an informal gathering just to get to know one another better? Maybe at a coffee shop or another public spot that would be fairly central for most of us? We could also use that time to throw around ideas for other possible events in the future.

I agree that after the holiday season might be good. It can be so intense with all the extra events, and having something to look forward to in January would be a plus!

That makes sense. I’m up for that. I just got excited, forgive me.

Northern Portland or Southern Vancouver (I vote NoPo to avoid taxes) seems like the best location for the sake of Gypsy. We have some nice coffee shops in the Kenton and St. John’s neighborhoods. I could also see if the UP or the local Catholic church (Holy Cross) would let us use a room if we wanted to do a potluck. (Which, btw, isn’t corny. Where there are Christians there must be food. It’s a law of the universe.)

+JMJ+
    +SDG+

I think coffee or potluck are both nice ideas. Thanks for those location suggestions, @rfriend. And don’t be sorry for having bigger ideas–I think there’s room for both. 🙂

Jilly
    Hutchmate
    @jilliancomrie

I’ll go to whatever you guys plan, as long as I’m not working! I work tues, wed, fri, and sun evenings, so it would be great if maybe we could do a mon or thurs, or maybe sat! Thanks for making it happen!

I’m so sorry for the delay in reply… bronchial pneumonia came for a visit and just wouldn’t go away.

I would love to see and meet everyone, what shall we plan? There are a few concerts coming up that we could connect at, or before for a meal…

Sorry to hear you’ve been fighting pneumonia, @k-fisher! I hope you are on the mend now.

Yes, I think perhaps it’s time for a meetup, now that the craziness of December is almost behind us. I think the idea of a concert, plus dinner perhaps, is a nice idea. What concerts and when?

Concert! Mini-Moot!! WooHoo!

A few concerts coming up in the new year, please post if any of you know of any others:

JJ Heller, January 21st, Mill Creek WA (Seattle area), January 22nd, Bellingham WA

Switchfoot, February 2nd, Crystal Ballroom, Portland

Jason Gray, February 8th, SouthLake Church, West Linn, tickets:  http://jasongraymusic.com/jg/tour/

Sandi Patti, Farewell Tour, February 11, Easthill Church, Gresham

Andrew Peterson, March 5th, Sammamish Presbyterian Church (Seattle area) (…talk from some friends of a Portland area concert being scheduled this same weekend, but nothing yet…)

The Rock and Worship Roadshow, March 18th, Oregon State Fairgrounds (Steven Curtis Chapman, Rend Collective, a bunch more artists…)

Colony House (the Chapman boys and band) March 30, Douglas Fir Lounge, Portland

Newsboys, Love Riot Tour, April 8th, Oregon State Fairgrounds

Drew Holcomb & the Neighbors, May 3rd, Aladdin Theater, Portland

Chris Tomlin, May 5th, Moda Center

Lemme know when you guys want to do the concert and I’ll schedule the potluck. If an Andrew Peterson concert happens in the Portland area I’d be down for that.

+JMJ+
    +SDG+

@k-fisher, thanks for that list of concerts! Lots of options there. I would love to go to the Jason Gray concert, but I would have to get time off of work, so that’s tentative for me. I, too, would be very interested in an Andrew Peterson concert, certainly if it comes to Portland, and possibly even if it were in Seattle.

I’d go to Switchfoot too.

+JMJ+
    +SDG+

Jason Gray next week! Anyone else attending?

So, it’s been a while since we talked about this, but who’s up for trying again on the Mini-Moot?

+JMJ+
    +SDG+

Hi Roy,

Thanks for revisiting this! I was actually thinking about it recently, too. With summer coming it seems like it could be a good time to try for a mini-moot again. I’d be down for something as simple as just meeting up with some folks for coffee and putting names to faces. I think the forum re-org has made it harder to see activity in these littler forums, so I’m going to tag the Rabbits that I know are in the Portland area: @k-fisher, @gypsy, @jilliancomrie, @johnepattison, @nathandetr0it, @kevin, @trestapayne

Yes, I would still love to meet everybody! Coffee sounds like a good way to break the ice. 🙂

Jilly
    Hutchmate
    @jilliancomrie

Yes, I would love to meet you all!!! =D

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.