The weird thing is, I’ve never liked U2. From the few short clips I’d seen, Bono seemed arrogant and intentionally obtuse. Pictures of U2 concerts ... Read More
In January, I started work on my newest project with the brilliant Ben Shive, and this week, we officially launched our Kickstarter campaign to help fund the recording of Sing the Bible Volume 3 and Sing the Bible Christmas—both word-for-word Scripture CDs.
Sing the Bible Volume 3 focuses on the teachings of Jesus and other Scripture passages that address his life and gospel mission. Here are a few examples:
- Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)
- He is the image of the invisible God, the first born of all creation… (Colossians 1:15-19)
- I am the vine, you are the branches… (John 15:4-5)
- The Samaritan woman at the well / Jesus gives living water… (John 4:5-14)
- Parables from Matthew 13 (The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, a treasure hidden in a field)
After months of meditating on these verses and others, I’ve been incredibly blessed by the project, and we haven’t even recorded it yet. Right now, “More Than Conquerors”—the new song from Romans 8:35,37-39 is my favorite song I’ve ever written.
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
Shall trouble or hardship
or persecution or famine or nakedness
or danger or sword?
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life,
neither angels nor demons,
neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation,
will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
That is the best news the world has ever known, and I never get tired of singing about it. It’s hard to get all the way through without breaking down into tears.
Sing the Bible Christmas will focus on, well, Christmas! Here are a few of the verses we’ve chosen:
- Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given… (Isaiah 9:6)
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God… (John 1:1-4)
- The Word became flesh and dwelt among us… (John 1:14)
- When the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his son born of woman… (Galatians 4:4-7)
- My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices… (Mary’s Song from Luke 1)
One of the fun quirks of Sing the Bible Christmas CD will be the musical style. Both Ben and I are big fans of the jazz piano music from the Peanuts Christmas Special. And that sound from the Vince Guaraldi trio heavily influenced my writing for this project.
Here’s a behind the scenes video that will give you a little taste:
I’m grateful to the Rabbit Room for helping spread the word about our Kickstarter campaign. Both of these CDs will be filled with word-for-word Scripture songs all about Jesus. I hope you’ll check out the Kickstarter page and pledge / preorder with one of our awesome rewards.
P.S. – Here’s the link to share with EVERYONE! http://bit.ly/STBVol3