Best vintage video game?

Forums -› Welcome to the Forums -› The Rabbit Room Forum -› Best vintage video game?

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
  • Ooh, Bioshock. That game hurt on many levels. I will, however, froth at the mouth over the Mass Effect trilogy because even your insignificant choices in the first two make a difference by game 3. And I do mean choices. One of the advantages of video games over books or movies is that, when well done, you the player are not just acting out someone else’s actions; you’re helping to shape the world around you by the character you choose to play. And the ME games have great replay value as well, since there are always different choices to make. That’s why I’m, uh, slightly hijacking this thread. The older console games were entertaining and often told good stories, but there weren’t that many games that let you the player change the world. Related update to my “best vintage video game” vote: Chrono Trigger, because to my knowledge it’s the first game to offer multiple endings.

Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time favorite video games.  I can’t even begin to count the amount of times I’ve played that game and beat it over the years.

I’m a little jealous of the rest of you who actually grew up with vintage games as a kid… I finally got my own NES from Goodwill when I was… ah, 22? So suffice it to say I don’t know what the best vintage game is. However, my brother and I spent *many* hours immersed in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64), Myst, Riven (which he finally just beat and I have yet to), and an old Mac game called Escape Velocity. We also played King’s Quest quite a bit with cousins. I can still recommend all of those. Edit: @tomhenderson – Why stop at Magnavox? Surely you must admit that it’s precursor, the original Brown Box, is superior! It also contained the precursor to Duck Hunt – in 1968. So. 🙂

Ocarina of Time was fantastic!  Have you ever gone back and played Link to the Past on SNES?  SO GOOD!

Josh Duncan
    Hutchmate
    @joshua-duncan

It’s hard for me to narrow it down. I did greatly enjoy Space Invaders, but Pitfall! and Frogger were also great. Q’Bert also gets too little love, IMHO.

Mega Man 2 is high on my all time favorites list for Nintendo, but the original Legend of Zelda takes first.

DRAGON’S LAIR!

Nate Martin
    Hutchmate
    @nathandetr0it

Civilization I (& II), for me, no contest.

SimCity (& 2000) is another.

Halflife (and it’s fantastic, ongoing universe of mods and sequels) is one I haven’t seen mentioned.

And finally, StarCraft.

If we’re including the N64 then I have to +1 The Ocarina of Time… and what about Goldeneye 007 and it’s magnificent spiritual successor, Perfect Dark?

www.themirrordarkly.com

Lisa Eldred
    Hutchmate
    @firstcrusader

@nathandetr0it Ooh, SimCity! A bunch of us used to fight in Middle School over who got to use the library computers during lunch to play that.

Nate Martin
    Hutchmate
    @nathandetr0it

I might have been a member of a Sim City 2000 club in my own middle school days…

www.themirrordarkly.com

Nate Martin
    Hutchmate
    @nathandetr0it

(Atari Star Wars, 1983)

I’m torn between Gauntlet and this beauty…

@rebeccareynolds, I played this earlier this year at Ground Kontrol in downtown PDX! I can’t remember how many difficulty levels I burned through… or how many quarters!

www.themirrordarkly.com

Well I’m not sure if it’s the BEST vintage game, but I am a bit partial to Ocarina of Time.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.